A HUGE two-day music festival due to take place this weekend was cancelled just days before it was due to start.
Essex Fest, which boasted a line up featuring hip-hop and R n B sensation Ms Dynamite, X Factor stars Frankie Cocozza and Misha B and a gaggle of TOWIE stars was cancelled following a dispute over conditions with the licence.
Festival organisers hoped to attract 10,000 people to the Orsett Showground - but pulled the plug on the event on Monday, breaking the news to disappointed artists and festival-goers on Twitter.
A statement posted on the Essex Fest website later, said: “It is with deep regret that we inform you Essexfest will not take place this year. The decision to cancel was not ours – council officials have expressed their concerns with provisions being made for noise pollution and as a result, together with the police, they have withdrawn the licence.”
More than 100 artists and dozens of vendors were due to feature at the first ever Essex Fest.
Organisers had applied for and been granted a licence in May, with strict conditions that meant information and and arrangements had to be in place with Thurrock Council’s Environmental Health Noise team.
The council argued this had not been done and following an emergency meeting last week, organisers were told they would face enforcement action if the event went ahead.
A council spokesman said: “The event organiser indicated verbally they would cancel the event, but we are still awaiting confirmation of this in writing.
“Thurrock Council and Essex Police have supported this event and worked hard to support the organisers in delivering what could have been safe, enjoyable, event for all.
“However it has had to be cancelled as the event organisers have been unable to meet the conditions of the licence within the time scales provided.”