BASILDON United remain just two points clear of the Isthmian North drop zone after Tilbury came from behind to seal a 3-1 win at Parkside.

Khadean Campbell gave the Bees a dream start by slotting home against a Dockers side managed by former Basildon boss Marc Harrison.

George Marsh was then equal to a Lewis Smith penalty, but that did not stop Tilbury claiming all three points as Tommy Barton bagged a brace of goals and Brian Moses also netted.

The Bees ended the clash with 10 men as substitute Staunton was given his marching orders.

Tilbury came within a whisker of taking the lead inside five minutes.

Basildon failed to clear a free-kick and the ball fell to Ola Ogunwamide on the edge of the penalty area.

The winger cut inside before seeing his goalbound strike deflect the wrong side of the post.

But, with just seven minutes on the clock, the Bees made the breakthrough.

Campbell beat Charlie Yexley and exchanged passes before calmly slotting into the bottom corner of the net.

The Dockers responded with Samuel Keefe poking wide of the target.

And Tilbury were offered a way back into the contest when Basildon captain Ben O’Brien was deemed to have handled a cross.

However, Smith’s 14th minute spot-kick was comfortably saved by Bees goalkeeper Marsh.

In an end-to-end contest, Basildon midfielder Conor Tyrell then forced Tilbury goalkeeper Joseph Osaghae into a fine diving save from long range, while O’Brien nodded a cross narrowly wide.

Osaghae was also called into action by Reece Price-Placid, who cut inside before striking goalwards.

The saves proved crucial as the Dockers drew level soon after the half-hour mark.

Former Basildon skipper Barton’s long range thunderbolt proved too hot for Marsh to handle and found the top corner of the net.

The encounter was turned on its head within three minutes as Moses used his strength to hold off Ashley Pibworth and fire home from close range.

Campbell should have doubled his tally on the stroke of half-time as the former Bowers & Pitsea man broke through a number of Tilbury challenges before finding himself one-on-one with Osaghae.

However, Campbell’s attempt was tame and the Dockers custodian saved with his legs.

Moses should have added to his tally soon after the interval as he was found unmarked in the heart of the penalty area.

However, the former Basildon frontman’s first touch got away from him and his rushed attempt was kept out by Marsh.

Ogunwamide then went on a marauding run as Tilbury looked to catch the Bees on the counter-attack, but the winger lost his footing at the crucial moment and steered wide.

Basildon hit back and Osaghae did well to keep out an O’Brien header while under pressure from Campbell.

Within moments, Marsh pulled off a spectacular fingertip save to deny Joe Turpin, who was making his first Dockers appearance since joining from Basildon in midweek.

But, with eight minutes left, Barton ensured Tilbury would claim all three points by nodding Lee Burns’ free-kick into the top corner of the net.

Matters got worse for Basildon as substitute Staunton saw red for an over-the-ball challenge.

But the damage had already been done and Tilbury strengthened their grip on an Isthmian North play-off spot.