A LATE own goal from Dan Humphreys resulted in Canvey Island having to settle for a 1-1 draw against Aveley this afternoon.

George Woodward put the Gulls in front by notching his first goal for the club early on.

But, with just four minutes remaining, Humphreys turned a cross into the back of his own net to allow the Millers to claim a share of the spoils at Park Lane.

The Gulls, who went into the clash following back-to-back Isthmian North triumphs over Heybridge Swifts and Felixstowe & Walton United, raced ahead inside 11 minutes.

Tobi Joseph used his pace to good effect as he took on former East Thurrock United full-back Jonathan Nzengo.

Joseph then appeared to be clipped by Nzengo, but referee Ivan Gelov waved away the penalty appeals and the ball fell kindly to Woodward, who slotted into the bottom corner of the net.

Albert Levett went close to doubling the home side’s advantage as the midfielder’s drive went inches wide of the target.

Aveley responded with Nzengo breaking into the Canvey penalty area and firing across the face of goal.

Rob Lacey should have added his name to the scoresheet moments after the interval.

Lacey pounced on a defensive mix-up and had the goal at his mercy, but the attacking midfielder sent his effort wide of the target.

Aveley struggled to create chances for themselves and George Sykes, who scored 57 goals in 138 appearances during his time on the books of Canvey, nodded a Sam Mvemba cross wide.

Alex Akrofi then stabbed wide as he stretched to connect with a teasing cross into the heart of the Canvey penalty area.

Canvey then looked to hit the visitors on the counter-attack as Lacey broke away from Shad Ngandu and played in Sam Bantick, but the recent signing’s attempt was stopped by Aveley goalkeeper James Scammell.

Lacey headed Albert Levett’s delivery over the crossbar from close range as Canvey looked to put daylight between the two sides.

However, the Millers should have got back on level terms with little more than 10 minutes to play as Wyan Reid’s cross found Harry Gibbs unmarked at the far post, but the central defender poked his effort wide.

With four minutes remaining, Aveley drew level as Akrofi’s low cross was turned into the back of his own net by Humphreys.

Joseph was denied by Scammell in the dying moments as the points were shared.