EAST Thurrock United claimed the Essex Senior Cup for the first time in the club’s history by registering a 3-1 win over National League South rivals Chelmsford City.

Rocks travelled to Colchester United’s JobServe Community Stadium looking for retribution, having lost the final to the Clarets two years earlier.

And goals from East Thurrock’s Danny Harris, Ben Marlow and Alex Osborn resulted in Mickey Spillane’s second half header being no more than a consolation for Chelmsford.

Rocks got off to the best possible start, breaking the deadlock inside 35 seconds.

Osborn charged down an attempted Chelmsford clearance before sending a dangerous ball across the face of goal and Harris was on hand to poke the ball into the back of the net.

And East Thurrock’s blistering start continued as John Coventry’s side doubled their advantage with less than five minutes on the clock.

Osborn caused the Clarets defenders problems before laying the ball off to Marlow, whose effort from 20 yards out deflected out of the reach of goalkeeper Nathan McDonald.

Chelmsford’s first meaningful opportunity of the evening fell to Chris Whelpdale, who found himself through on goal, but the attacker could only find the side-netting.

Former Southend United defender Spillane was the next Clarets man to try his luck, but his tame header was easily saved by Jack Giddens.

Sam Higgins’ mistimed volley went wide of the target as Rocks looked to maintain their lead in the second period.

Chelmsford responded with Chez Isaac lashing over from close range after latching onto Jordan Chiedozie’s header.

Higgins should have added his name to the scoresheet with 20 minutes to play as Osborn whipped a wicked ball into the heart of the danger zone.

However, Higgins attempted to stab the ball home with his right foot when it would have been better to use his left foot and the close range effort went wide.

The miss proved costly as, just two minutes later, Chelmsford halved the deficit through a Spillane header.

However, Rocks responded within two minutes as Osborn fired home after being found by Higgins’ cutback.

Chelmsford pushed for a way back into the contest and saw late appeals for a penalty waved away.

Rocks substitute Shaun Batt saw a late effort smothered by McDonald.

But East Thurrock had done enough to record a fully deserved victory and claim county bragging rights by lifting silverware.

East Thurrock United: Giddens, Burns, Sori-Diallo, Marlow (Nzengo 55 (Batt 75)), Scott, Sheehan, Osborn (Ekpiteta 89), Prestedge, Higgins, Lee, Harris