AVELEY and Grays Athletic booked their places in the preliminary round of the FA Trophy thanks to fine wins, while East Thurrock United suffered late heartbreak in the National League South.

James Webster’s Aveley registered a home triumph over Tooting & Mitcham United, while Grays were victorious against Felixstowe & Walton United.

Meanwhile, John Coventry’s East Thurrock were defeated by a late Wealdstone goal.

Aveley 3-1 Tooting & Mitcham United, FA Trophy extra preliminary round

Aveley advanced to the preliminary round of the FA Trophy after coming out on top against Tooting & Mitcham United.

And the Millers raced into a first minute lead to go into the ascendancy immediately.

Tom Richardson grabbed the opening goal with an impressive chip over Tooting goalkeeper Morgan Campbell.

Campbell stopped the hosts grabbing a second goal inside the opening four minutes as he tipped an Alex Akrofi header over the crossbar.

Goalkeeper David Hughes did well to palm away a Tooting effort as the visitors looked to get back on level terms.

And that save proved crucial as the Millers doubled their advantage moments later.

Akrofi found the top corner of the net with a superb curling effort.

On the half hour mark, Richardson grazed the top of the crossbar as he looked to catch Campbell off his line.

After a dominant first half, Aveley continued to impress and George Doyle’s free-kick went inches wide.

Akrofi applied the finishing touch to a Sam Mvemba cross, but his celebrations were cut short by an offside flag.

While Akrofi was denied a brace, Richardson notched his second goal of the game by converting an Andy Freeman corner just before the hour mark.

Richardson came close to claiming a hat-trick as his chip went just over the crossbar.

With 65 minutes on the clock, Hughes was beaten as Dominic Morgan-Griffiths found the top corner of the net.

Akrofi had a late effort cleared off the line, but Aveley had done enough to advance at Parkside.

Felixstowe & Walton United 1-3 Grays Athletic, FA Trophy extra preliminary round

Grays claimed an impressive win at Felixstowe to progress in the FA Trophy.

Jamie Stuart’s side were able to go in at half-time with an advantage as Joao Carlos found the back of the net two minutes before the break.

And fans’ favourite Carlos doubled his and Grays’ tally four minutes after the interval to put the visitors in control of the FA Trophy tie.

However, Jack Ainsley halved Felixstowe’s deficit 10 minutes after half-time to give the home side hope of staging a comeback.

Felixstowe, who were looking to get the better of their Isthmian North rivals, pushed for an equaliser.

But Grays put the game beyond Felixstowe as Ade Cole got his name on the scoresheet late on.

East Thurrock United 0-1 Wealdstone, National League South

East Thurrock United conceded another late goal as they went down against Wealdstone at Rookery Hill.

Jerome Slew netted the all-important goal with two minutes remaining.

Ciaron Brown had the first attempt of the match for the Stones but his effort was sent over the crossbar.

The hosts were coming under some early pressure, as Bradley Hudson-Odoi struck off target and the home goal continued to lead a charmed life.

A corner caused chaos in the six-yard box but the ball was adjudged not to have crossed the line.

Rocks’ luck showed no signs of turning when Tom Stephen was taken off shortly before half-time because of injury but they made it to half-time with the scores level.

Jonathan North was called into action early in the second half, with the Stones keeper parrying away a powerful Sam Higgins free-kick.

Rocks rattled the crossbar as they continued to apply pressure but East Thurrock were to concede.

Having initially been denied Slew made no mistake second time around and put the Stones ahead with three minutes remaining.