TILBURY were unable to halt Basildon United’s 100 per cent winning start as they were condemned to a 2-1 defeat by the Bees at Chadfields.

James Walker was on target for the Dockers, but Eljay Worrell and Marcus Bowers got the decisive goals to allow the visitors to claim all three points in the Isthmian North clash.

After a low key opening, the game needed a spark and it was provided by Worrell.

Back in the side, the Basildon left-back picked up a loose ball that was not cleared and blasted into the far corner.

Tilbury had not threatened Connor Wheatley’s goal but, on 25 minutes, the scores were level. The ball was threaded through a huge hole in the Basildon defence and Walker finished composedly.

Seconds after the break, Simon Peddie headed wide as Tilbury passed up an excellent opportunity to take the lead and Basildon pounced.

Bowers scored from the edge of the penalty area after a flowing move down the right had worked its way across the edge of the box.

Wheatley made a fine block in the final 15 minutes while Jack Adlington-Pile spurned a terrific chance to put the game to bed.

However, Bowers’ goal proved to be difference and the Dockers are still searching for their first win.

Meanwhile, an early red card proved crucial as Grays Athletic suffered a 5-0 defeat at the hands of Maldon & Tiptree.

Joao Carlos was dismissed midway through the first half and the Jammers were to run riot.

Just seven minutes after Grays were reduced to 10 men, Decarrey Sheriff broke the deadlock at Parkside.

Shane Cojocarel doubled Maldon & Tiptree’s advantage seven minutes before the break, while Chris Millar notched the visitors’ third goal of the afternoon close to the hour mark.

Sheriff completed his brace and Jack Cawley rounded off the scoring on what was a day to forget for Grays.

Elsewhere, Felixstowe & Walton United goalkeeper Jack Spurling played a key role as Aveley lost 2-0 on the road.

Jordan Matthews tapped home 10 minutes before half-time to give the home side the lead, but the Millers were handed a golden opportunity to equalise as they were awarded a penalty with 12 minutes to play.

However, Spurling saved Alex Akrofi’s spot-kick and, although substitute Ben Clarke was sent off late on for Felixstowe, Sam Ford wrapped up all three points in stoppage time.

In the National League South, East Thurrock United scored a dramatic late goal against Bath City to make it consecutive home wins.

A Frankie Artus own goal was enough for Rocks, with the ball looping into the corner with a minute remaining.

Home goalkeeper Jack Giddens pushed a shot onto the crossbar in what appeared to be the game’s biggest chance.

That was until the winner in the final moments.