East Thurrock United 2–5 Spennymoor Town

(Agyemang 4’, Smith (p) 52’: Johnson 34’, 56’, 62’, Taylor 45’, Griffiths 49’)

From the Future Fuel Stadium

FA Trophy third round

EAST Thurrock United’s run in the FA Trophy came to a crushing end as 10 man Spennymoor Town ran out 5-2 winners to reach the quarter-finals.

The County Durham outfit were indebted to an Andrew Johnson hat-trick, as the visitors took charge following the red card early in the second half.

But, despite missing talisman Sam Higgins, it was Rocks that had the lead inside four minutes.

A free-kick was awarded 35 yards from goal and Montel Agyemang’s looping effort bamboozled goalkeeper Jordan Porter and nestled in the top corner.

It looked as though the winger was shaping up for a cross but the ball dropped inches underneath the crossbar.

Spennymoor were growing into the tie and missed a golden opportunity to draw level 10 minutes later. A deep free-kick found Joe Tait all alone at the far post but the defender volleyed inches past the post.

Agyemang sent a curling effort inches over the crossbar from inside the penalty area but the National League North side were the better side.

And they deservedly equalised 10 minutes before half-time. A cross into the middle was not well defended and Johnson raced onto the loose ball and headed powerfully into the goal.

Up the other end Lewis Smith went down in the penalty area although nothing was given before Spennymoor claimed a half-time lead.

Seconds after Lukas Lidakevicius had made a stunning save to deny Rob Ramshaw, Glen Taylor climbed highest from a corner to nod into the net.

Having conceded seconds before the interval, it was a case of deja-vu after the break.

A free-kick from a wide left position was swung in by Kallum Griffiths and the ball raced into the far corner off the inside of the far post.

But far from a decisive blow, Rocks appeared to be rejuvenated. The hosts went straight up the other end and won a penalty, with Jamie Chandler sent off for a second bookable offence for handball.

Up stepped Smith to send the goalkeeper the wrong way.

But the game turned again. Two minutes later, a neat counter attack resulted in Johnson restoring the two goal advantage with a neat effort tucked beyond Lidakevicius.

And five minutes later the striker wrapped up the win, running through and striking low across Lidakevicius and into the far corner.

And despite Rocks’ efforts, Spennymoor stood firm and eased into the next round to face Bromley.

East Thurrock United: Lidakevicius, Sammons, Harris, Burns, Clark, Phipps (Honesty 54’), C. Ekpiteta (White 54’), Cornhill, Richardson (Knott 75’), Smith, Agyemang