FIRE crews were called to a flat in Purfleet on Friday night after neighbours heard a smoke alarm going off.

On arrival at the property in Banner Close, firefighters found a heavily smoked logged property.

Crews from Grays attended the incident.

After identifying the source of the smoke to be a frying pan on the hob, firefighters removed the pan.

They used positive-pressure ventilation fans to clear the smoke from the flat.

Mark Hampton, watch manager at Grays Fire Station, said: "We're called to hob fires far more often than people would think. 

“Please never leave cooking unattended and always make sure your oven and hob are completely clear and switched off when you've finished cooking. 

"This incident shows how important it is to have working smoke alarms. Even if you're not home, they can alert your neighbours who can call 999."