A total of 14 homes have been left without power after a fire caused by an electrical fault.

It happed at 11:29am yesterday morning, at Lionel Oxley House, New Road, Grays.

The fire was a result of an electrical fault in a communal bin area and was quickly responded to and contained by Essex Fire Service.

The fire resulted in a power cut in 14 flats and the lifts in the building are out of order. UK Power Networks and Mears engineers have been on site and are continuing to resolve these faults.

Essex Fire Service says the crews extinguished the fire by 12:19pm and the bin area was left smoke damaged.


Luke Spillman, Cabinet Member for Housing, said: “14 flats have been left without power, all residents have been offered support and five families have been placed into temporary accommodation for the night. The Leader and I would like to urge any tenants from Lionel Oxley House who may be away for Christmas to please make contact with our housing department.

“I would like to thank all residents for their patience whilst ECFRS, council officers and our contractors have been on site this afternoon.

“I would also like to thank the council officers who have been working today, along with the help provided to them by UK Power Networks and Mears. As well as ECFRS for their hard work and quick response to the alarm this morning to contain the fire quickly and safely.

“UK Power Networks remain on site to resolve the faults caused by the fire and we will continue to support the families who’s properties have been effected until they can safely return home.”