Fire crews battled an early morning accidental fire at a garage.

Three crews were called to the incident in River View, Chadwell St Mary at 3:56am today.

The fire firefighters found a garage at the rear of the property completely alight.

The fire spread quickly due to books, tools, clothes and flammable liquids, such as paint thinners, varnish and creosote, being stored in the garage.

Crews worked hard to completely extinguish the fire by 5.20am.

The cause has been recorded as accidental; it is believed an electrical appliance overheated.