A TEENAGER was left with a broken elbow after a vicious attack with a baseball bat.

Scott Stanley has been jailed, and a 15-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, given a youth rehabilitation order after the attack in Lakeside Shopping Centre.

The 17-year-old victim had gone to the centre on August 28, 2019, with a group of friends to Nando’s and then the cinema.

After eating, the group went outside to wait until their film started at 6pm.

It was then that the group saw Stanley, 42, and the teenager armed with baseball bats, and they fled.

Stanley and the teenager then chased the boy through Lakeside before the teenager cornered the victim in Subway.

The teenager then hit the victim 25 times with the bat, which was captured on CCTV and witnessed by a security guard.

The teenager was later arrested, along with Stanley, who had given him the bat.

The victim was taken to Basildon Hospital where it was discovered his elbow was broken.

Stanley, of Gascoyne Road, Homerton, and the teenager later admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent and were sentenced at Basildon Crown Court on Friday.

The court heard the victim had been attacked in a case of mistaken identity.

In a victim impact statement, the boy said he is now worried about going out alone and is not confident in going to Lakeside, which used to be one of his “favourite places”.

Mitigation for Stanley and the teenager said the offence was completely out of character and they had “lost control”, but regretted their actions.

Judge Samantha Cohen said both defendants had strong mitigation, but the offence was still serious.

She said: “Most of the blows connected with his arms and legs. It seems to me you were not deliberately targetting his head but it broke his elbow. That would have been incomprehensible and terrifying.”

Stanley was jailed for three years and nine months.

Along with the teenager’s youth rehabilitation order, he was banned from contacting the victim and going to Lakeside for two years.