A RESIDENT bravely tried to battle a kitchen fire but was forced to flee their flat as it tore through the room.

Firefighters were called out to Trotwood, Chigwell last night at 8.30pm, which saw five other families evacuated.

The resident had attempted to tackle a fire in the kitchen while cooking when the fire spread out of control.

The resident then got out of the flat, stayed out and called the fire service out.

Five other families in the block of flats also evacuated when hearing their neighbour's smoke alarms going off.

A spokesman for Essex Fire Service said: "On arrival, crews reported that the second storey flat had flames and smoke coming out of the windows and worked quickly to extinguish the fire by 9pm.

"The fire left the flat smoke and water damaged and firefighters remained at the scene to ventilate the flat and the neighbouring flats."

Watch Manager Mark Lemon from Loughton Fire Station said: “Most house fires start in the kitchen so we’d urge the public to be extra careful when cooking.

"If you discover a fire in your home, get out of the property, stay out and dial 999.”