Firefighters rushed to a fire after a cigarette end caught light and a shed, fences and a home was damaged.

Crews attended the incident in Little Bellhus Close, Southend Ockendon at about 3.10pm yesterday.

On arrival, crews confirmed that a shed and fence panels were on fire and the fire had spread to the back of a house.

Firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the fire and prevent it from spreading further. The fire was put out by 3:42pm.

The shed, fence panels and the back door of the house were left damaged. 

The fire was caused accidentally after a cigarette end caught grass alight.

Watch Manager Gary Bannister said: “Please double check cigarette ends are properly stubbed out before walking away. They can cause fires quickly if left to burn next to a flammable object.”