Warning: Contains graphic content of a sexual nature.

The man accused of murdering Grace Millane had previously discussed "rough sex", including strangulation, with other women he had matched with on Tinder, the court has heard.

The second week of the trial for the man accused of Millane's murder is underway, with the court hearing evidence from other women who had matched with the accused on Tinder.

A 27-year-old man, who has interim name suppression, is charged with murdering Millane in December last year as she was travelling the world as part of a year-long solo OE.

Crown prosecutors allege that on the night of December 1 - the eve of Millane's 22nd birthday - the accused strangled the young Brit to death in his central city apartment after the pair spent the night drinking.

After arriving in Auckland, the recent university graduate was matched with her accused killer on the dating app Tinder.

Millane's body was found crammed into a suitcase and dumped in a shallow grave in Auckland's Waitakere Ranges a week later.

The New Zealand Herald brings you the latest updates from the courtroom today: 'I couldn't breathe ... I was terrified'

5.10pm As the courtroom clock moved past 5pm lawyer Ron Mansfield said he had about 30-40 more minutes of questions for the witness.

"That might be a suitable time, Sir," he told Justice Simon Moore, prompting the court to adjourn for the day.

"Oh my God, I'm not coming back!" the witness cried, burying her head in her hands.

The trial will resume tomorrow at 10am.

4.15pm The cross-examination of the third woman who went on a Tinder date with the accused before he met Millane has continued.

Mansfield, one of the alleged killer's lawyers, said his client messaged the woman intending to move on after their date in November 2018.

"I'm going to leave it here, I wish you all the best. Thank you x," part of the message read.

But Mansfield wondered if the woman still wanted to continue a relationship as he continued reading some of the more than 700 messages between the pair.

"I don't like messaging I don't have time for it," the woman texted the accused.

"Messaging annoys me haha but okay I understand, I'll use your line, you do you.

"I don't even text my parents back.

"Why give up so easily?"

Despite the messages, the woman told the court she didn't want the accused in her life and was just "leading him on".

Further conversations between the pair continued, including the woman asking the accused "did you want to hang this weekend?"

But she said the messages were all a lie.

"I don't want to be here, putting my life out there, saying all these things. It's embarrassing," she told the court.

"I don't want to be here telling my horrific story in front of all you people."

But what she says the accused did to her during their date on November 2 was the truth.

"You can't take that away from me," she told Mansfield.

But Mansfield continued and produced messages from November 8 where the woman asked if the accused was on the social media channel SnapChat.

"Then I could send you pictures throughout the day so you know what I'm up to :)," she said.

"You think I don't want you but that is totally not true," another read.

3.00pm Earlier, the woman told the court she never wanted to see the man again after fearing for her life during a sexual encounter in November last year.

However, Mansfield questioned the woman as their text history is revealed.

"You didn't say in your messages did you that you couldn't breathe and that you might die and you were panicked and scared?" Mansfield asked.

The woman replied: "I'm scared of him, I didn't want him just showing up because he knew a lot of the activities that I did ... I didn't want to make him angry."

The witness said she continued to text and call the accused after the incident because she "didn't want to upset him. I didn't know what I was thinking".

One message she sent to the accused read: "Do you want to see me?"

Another asked: "Plans today?"

Mansfield said a further message from the woman on November 3 read: "I'm fine, just wanted to talk x."

"Don't you think it's odd to send that sort of message to someone, who you claim now, was trying to kill you?" Mansfield asked.

A further series of messages between the pair appeared to show an amicable relationship between them, the lawyer said.

"You've taken me on a rollercoaster of emotions haha," the woman said.

"Haha yep, so do you want me?" the accused replied.

"If you agree to be always honest with me, then yes!" she said.

1.00pm A third woman who matched with the accused on the dating app Tinder began giving evidence before today's lunch break.

She agreed to meet the young man for a drink in Auckland's CBD in early November 2018.

However, instead of going to a bar the pair went back to the accused's apartment at the CityLife hotel.

"He wanted to get changed out of his suit first," she said.

But instead of moving on they bought some alcohol from a shop across the road and returned to the hotel room to have some drinks.

"We'd been talking about, like, how much he loved me and wanted to be with me and he walked over and kissed me.

"And then he tried to lead me over to the bed," she said, adding the accused grabbed her arm.

She told the young man: "We're not having sex."

"Oh why not?" she said the accused replied.

However, after the pair sat on the bed together the accused removed his pants, she said.

"He was trying to kiss me and then he removed his pants."

The accused, she told the court, later climbed onto the bed.

"He just sat down on my face," she said through tears. "I couldn't breathe."

Her forearms were also held down, the court heard.

"I couldn't move my arms, I couldn't breathe, so I started kicking - trying to indicate I couldn't breathe," she said.

"I couldn't move my arms because he had too much weight on them."

She attempted to struggle free with "all my might".

"I couldn't breathe … I was terrified.

"He just sat there, he didn't move at all."

The then-university student told the court she managed to "turn my head slightly to the left so I could get a slither of breathe".

She then feigned unconsciousness.

"'Cause then maybe he'd realise something was wrong.

"He still didn't get off.

"There were so many thoughts running through my mind ... This can't be the way I die ... I started thinking about my family and my friends. They can't read about this."

Finally the accused sat up, she said.

"I was gasping I couldn't breath properly and he just said to me 'oh what's wrong?'

"Almost accusing and quite cold he said 'oh you don't think I did that on purpose do you?'"

'I didn't feel comfortable meeting him'

11.30am Another Auckland woman has told the court she matched with the accused on Tinder in February 2018.

She would continue to communicate with him via Facebook and phone the next year but never actually met the accused.

Some of their chats, she said, turned sexual.

She told the court the accused mentioned he enjoyed strangulation during sex.

"He wanted to tell me what he liked and so he did," she said.

Ron Mansfield is acting for the accused. 

Other sexual predilections included feet and domination, the woman told the court.

"He would talk about enjoying it and why he liked it ... Because it made him feel more superior and in control."

The woman said she last heard from the accused on about December 4 last year - just days after Millane died.

She said the accused had also wanted to go on a date during the weekend of December 1.

But she added: "I didn't feel comfortable meeting him with some of the things he wanted me to do."

During cross-examination by defence lawyer Ron Mansfield, the woman said while she didn't meet with the accused she would send explicit photos of herself to him.

At his request she also sent him photos of her feet.

Mansfield also suggested his client never mentioned to the woman in a phone call that he liked rough sex or strangulation.

"He definitely did," she replied.

Accused's Tinder date: 'He did choke me a bit'

10.47am An Auckland woman who went on a Tinder date with the accused just a week before he met Millane says she had rough sex with the alleged killer.

The waitress matched with the accused in November last year and the pair exchanged phone numbers and began messaging each other.

"We asked each other what we prefer during sex," she said.

"I said 'I prefer rough sex and choking'. He did say he likes rough sex as well."

She told the court today that on the night of November 22 she met with the accused "at his place" - the CityLife hotel.

"It was a nice place, it looked nice. He met me in the lobby ... we went up to his room."

Millane and the accused were filmed by CCTV cameras during their Tinder date. 

During the woman's evidence the accused was observed taking gulps, wiping his nose and looking down with his head between his legs.

"I drank rum and coke and he drank Heineken," the woman said, adding the pair had a friendly but personal conversation.

"It started off as just talking to each other.

"After he went to the toilet, on the way out he kissed me and it slowly moved to the bed."

She said the two had sex and the accused "did choke me a bit because that's a preference of mine".

He had one hand around her neck, she recalled.

"It was fine, it was consensual.

"My breath was a bit restricted but it was something that gave me pleasure. I didn't have to push him off me, he let go when I reached...

"It wasn't too hard that I was gasping for air, it wasn't so soft that I wouldn't be able to feel it ... it was just the right amount of pressure."

Later the pair had a couple of pizzas in the room before she left for home about an hour later, the court heard.

However, the woman had left her glasses at the accused's apartment.

She messaged him about retrieving her glasses, while the accused was later keen to meet up again, the woman said.

"He did wonder why I left so suddenly after we met up, after we had sex.

"I just said that I wanted to go home.

"He wanted to meet up for sex again but I just didn't feel it anymore - that was a week later around the 26th, 27th of November."

The woman then saw the accused again when he was on his date with Millane on the night of December 1.

She was working at one of the bars Millane and her alleged killer drank at.

"He came in with a young lady and walked across the bar to go to a table.

"As he went up to pay I went up to him, I did say 'Hi [accused] how's it going?'

"As he was paying I just yelled '[Accused] when can I get my glasses back?'"

She recalled the young man, who said he now lived in Mt Eden, said: "Oh yeah, tonight."

On the morning of December 4 the accused returned the woman's glasses to her work.

"He messaged me and said he'd dropped them off and sorry for the whole thing," she told the court.

It was the last contact she had with him.