A MAN who doused police officers with petrol at the end of a high speed chase has been jailed. 

Justin Jackson, 28, admitted eight counts of administering a noxious substance with intent to injure, annoy or aggrieve.

Thurrock Gazette:

Captured - Aerial footage of police at the scene

He appeared at Basildon Crown Court for sentencing today. 

He was jailed for three years and nine months.

LATEST: 'I remember thinking we could all go up in flames': Officer speaks on lasting impact of petrol attack

The attack happened in Ward Close, Laindon, where police had attempted to arrest a youth riding a motorbike which had been stolen from Canvey.

Thurrock Gazette:

Gathering - people had congregated on Canvey to pay their respects to popular Denny Richardson

When officers tried to arrest the youth at a block of flats, Jackson threw petrol in their faces.

Jackson who lived in Ward Close, Laindon, was later arrested and initially charged with seven attempts to cause grievous bodily harm.

A hearing took place on September 23, during which charges of GBH, were denied, and dropped.

WATCH: Video shows moment thug races to scene to douse police with petrol

Jackson subsequently admitted throwing the petrol at officers to annoy.

At the same time as Jackson's offence, his mum Janine Justin grabbed a hammer before approaching police during a row in the street.

Thurrock Gazette:

Jailed - thug Justin Jackson

She gesticulated at police with the hammer while Justin Jackson, her son, threw petrol in their faces.

She was convicted of possessing an offensive weapon.

Justin, 47, formerly of Ward Close, Laindon was convicted by a jury at Basildon Crown Court on October 9.

Today, she was handed nine months in jail, suspended for 18 months.

She was also ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.

The incident took place on May 5. It started when a motorbike was stolen and taken to a memorial ride for Denny Richardson, 17, who tragically died in a motorbike crash on May 2 on Canvey.

At Chelmsford Crown Court on August 16, a 17-year-old boy, the driver of the motorbike, was banned from driving for 12 months and fined for dangerous driving.