Firefighters rushed to an oven fire at a home in South Ockendon.

The crews were called to the property in Quince Tree Close, after the owner discovered his oven on fire at 6.11pm last night.

The firefighters quickly brought the fire under control and extinguished it by 6.35pm.

Watch Manager Dave Hogan, Grays Fire Station, said: "When the homeowner realised there was a fire in his kitchen he quickly closed the door, got his family outside and called 999, which was exactly the right thing to do.

"The fire was caused by a pan of fat which had been left in the oven and eventually caught fire.

"Although the fire was quickly extinguished the smoke had already spread throughout the rest of the property.

"As the smoke was full of fat it has left a very strong smell across the entire property, including deep into the furniture, as well as causing some damage to the kitchen.

"Always check your oven for pans before you turn it on and ensure you regularly clean it to avoid a build up of grease and reduce the risk of fire."

The fire service has issues cooking safety advice following the incident, including take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.