A PUB which has stood in place since the 1850s could now be demolished...and a block of ten flats built in its place.

The Rabbits Public House, at 783 London Road, West Thurrock, has stood in place since at least 1851 – when it was first recorded as a pub owned by John Morgan.

But now, a planning application has been submitted to Thurrock Council, seeking permission to bulldoze the pub and build flats in its place.

The application, which has been submitted by Arun Rallon, who lives in Kent, states that the pub has been “closed and out of use for a significant period of time”, adding that no other option has been put forward for the pub.

Photos dating back to 1930 show the pub in its current state, although without the name The Rabbits.

During the 1880s, the pub was used as both a “beer retailer” and post office.

Sharon Ferguson, 53, of London Road, said: “I didn’t know about the plans and it is a bit of a shame.

“In all honesty, it has been closed for quite a few years now, but it would have been nice to see it restored and brought back in to use. We do seem to have flats cropping up everywhere now.”

The application read: “The proposal is for a new flatted development with a design that respects the rhythm, form, massing, scale, height and context of the existing building and takes into consideration the spatial and visual character of the site itself, surrounding area and street scene.

“The proposal clearly demonstrates that there will be no adverse impact on the adjoining properties in terms of loss of daylight, sunlight or privacy nor by creation of any overlooking.

“There will also be adequate provision for the storage and collection of waste and recyclable materials in line with local waste collection policy In summary, the proposal will comply with all relevant policies and we would therefore kindly request an Approval is given for this application.”