A burger van was destroyed after a fire started in the kitchen area.

Fire crews were called to the van in Orsett Road, Orsett, just before 1am on Sunday.

A fire service spokesman said: “On arrival, fire crews found that the building was 50 per cent alight and filled with smoke.

“Firefighters worked hard to prevent the fire spreading to adjacent shops and were able to extinguish it by 1.56am.

“A re-inspection in daylight was then held at 8am this morning to confirm there were no remaining hotspots or risk of reignition within the building.

“The food outlet has suffered major damage and the kitchen area, where the fire began, has been destroyed.”

The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental.