TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING (GENERAL PERMITTED DEVELOPMENT) (ENGLAND) ORDER 2015 NOTICE OF THE MAKING OF ARTICLE 4(1) DIRECTIONS WITHOUT IMMEDIATE EFFECT RELATING TO CLASS E TO RESIDENTIAL CHANGE OF USENotice ID: WAT2231709
TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING (GENERAL PERMITTED DEVELOPMENT) (ENGLAND) ORDER 2015 NOTICE OF THE MAKING OF ARTICLE 4(1) DIRECTIONS WITHOUT IMMEDIATE EFFECT RELATING TO CLASS E TO RESIDENTIAL CHANGE OF USE
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that Harlow Council on 13 October 2021 made five Directions under Article 4(1) of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 ("the Order") which affect certain land within the area of Harlow Council and which withdraw permitted development rights as specified below in respect of development comprised within Class MA of Part 3 to Schedule 2 of the Order.
The Article 4 Directions apply to land at:
- the Burnt Mill Employment Area (ref. A4D-bur)
- the Pinnacles Employment Area (ref. A4D-pin)
- the Templefields Employment Area (ref. A4D-tem)
- Templefields North East (ref. A4D-tem)
- Harlow Town Centre (ref. A4D-tow), being all that land and property known as: a. 1 to 39 Broad Walk; b. 1 to 5b Civic Walk; c. Harlow Central Library; d. Harvey Centre; e. 1 to 7 Harvey Centre Approach; f. (formerly) 1-22 Little Walk; g. Redstone House; h. 1 to 16 The Water Gardens; i. 5 to 9 West Walk; j. Harlow Civic Centre; k. Essex CC, Watergarden Offices; I. Beaufort House; m. Aylmer House; n. 2 East Gate; o. Mitre Buildings; p. Rothwell House; q. Westgate House; r. 2-3 Wych Elm; s. 13-26 Wych Elm.
The Article 4 Directions apply in the affected areas to development that is comprised within Class MA - Development consisting of a change of use of a building and any land within its curtilage from a use falling within Class E (commercial, business and service) of Schedule 2 to the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (as amended) to a use falling within Class C3 (dwellinghouses) of Schedule 1 to that Order. On the land to which they apply, the effect of the Article 4 Directions is to require a grant of planning permission to be obtained for development of the type to which they apply. Where planning permission is required, an application should be made to the Council; no fee is payable where an application for planning permission is required solely because of the effect of an Article 4 Direction.
It is intended that the Article 4 Directions will come into force on 14 October 2022.
The Article 4 Directions and the plans showing the extent of the land affected can be inspected between 09:30 and 16:30 Monday to Friday at Civic Centre The Water Gardens Harlow Essex CM20 1WG. The Article 4 Directions and maps can also be viewed online at
The start date of the period during which representations may be made to the Council regarding the making of the Article 4 Directions is 14 October 2021. The Council will take into account any representations in deciding whether to confirm the making of the Article 4 Directions. The period ends at 17:00 on 12 November 2021.
Representations should be sent to Forward Planning, Harlow District Council, Civic Centre, The Water Gardens, Harlow, Essex, CM20 1WG or sent by email to
quoting the relevant reference (see list above).
Dated this 14th day of October 2021