Backpacker had contaminated gin

Thurrock Gazette: Beautician Cheznye Emmons died after drinking gin which had been mixed with methanol in Indonesia (Family handout/PA) Beautician Cheznye Emmons died after drinking gin which had been mixed with methanol in Indonesia (Family handout/PA)

The parents of a British backpacker fatally poisoned by contaminated alcohol have spoken of their determination to prevent further deaths.

Beautician Cheznye Emmons, 23, died after drinking gin which had been mixed with methanol while travelling in Indonesia with her boyfriend Joe Cook in April last year.

Today an inquest in Chelmsford heard she had the drink, bought from a shop and with a seemingly legitimate label, with friends in Bukit Lawang, northern Sumatra.

She was rushed to hospital after experiencing sudden blindness and convulsions and died five days later.

Outside the hearing, her family, from Great Wakering, Essex, described how they have campaigned to prevent other families experiencing such heartbreak.

Mother Pamela Emmons described her daughter as "lively and outgoing".

She added: "She was focused on what she wanted to do with her life. She had lots of friends and had raised money for charity.

"It was like having a chunk of your heart ripped out but we know that she'd be proud of what we're doing to try to save lives."

Father Brenton Emmons said: "In a lot of these countries they mix methanol with spirits and wine without a thought for the dangers.

"It's very hard to tell the difference - sometimes there are bits floating in it, sometimes it might smell funny.

"This is being sold in shops, restaurants and bars - places where you might think it is safe. But the message is really 'stick to beer' because otherwise you don't know what risk you are taking."

The family launched their Save a Life Campaign soon after the death and soon hope to distribute 20,000 posters highlighting the dangers to doctors' surgeries.

Because of how such deaths are recorded abroad, t he family say it is impossible to know how many others have died in the same way.

Mr Emmons said that since launching the campaign they have become aware of hundreds of other cases of people falling ill, with some dying.

"The problem is the symptoms of methanol poisoning are a lot like a hangover and people think they can just sleep it off," he added. "That's what Cheznye tried to do and she died as a result."

Ms Emmons was on a six-month trip travelling around Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia. She had been staying in the local Rain Forrest Lodge when she fell ill, the inquest heard.

Others in her group also reported feeling ill.

Coroner Eleanor McGann concluded Ms Emmons died as a result of misadventure.

She said: "It is clear that she went off travelling expecting to enjoy life and to learn. Sadly this ended in her tragic death."

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:01pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Villagecranberry says...

And they sell this rubbish in the UK
And they sell this rubbish in the UK Villagecranberry
  • Score: 0

3:30pm Mon 16 Jun 14

elloello1980 says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
And they sell this rubbish in the UK
eh?
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: And they sell this rubbish in the UK[/p][/quote]eh? elloello1980
  • Score: 1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree