Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TGNEWS to 80360 or you can email us Click here for details »
Bahrain Grand Prix gets green light
The Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead as planned on April 22, the FIA have confirmed.
The decision comes despite continuing unrest in the Gulf kingdom following anti-government protests which resulted in the deaths of a number of demonstrators last year. Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has continually stated he has no concerns regarding safety, despite apparent misgivings from teams and drivers.
The sport's governing body, the FIA, said in a statement: "Based on the current information the FIA has at this stage, it is satisfied that all the proper security measures are in place for the running of a Formula One World Championship event in Bahrain. Therefore, the FIA confirms that the 2012 Gulf Air F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain will go ahead as scheduled."
Last year's Bahrain Grand Prix was cancelled in the wake of the anti-government protests, and some in the sport felt the same should happen this time around.
The FIA decision came ahead of a planned meeting on Friday in the Shanghai paddock prior to this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix, between F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and the team principals.
That meeting lasted barely 10 minutes, and whilst the majority of the bosses or representatives declined to offer a view, Red Bull boss Christian Horner at least spoke on behalf of his team.
"We've had the statement, it's very clear," said Horner.
"They (the FIA) have obviously been in consultation with all the relevant parties and so we fully respect their position."
Asked, however, whether he was happy with the decision, Horner gave an indirect reply as he said: "The confusing thing has been the uncertainty.
"So I think for everybody here in the paddock now it's clear that there will be a race in Bahrain next week. The FIA have obviously done their research and come out with a clear statement that as a team entered into the championship we respect."