Aveley 0

Witham 3

RYMAN ONE: AVELEY were comprehensively brushed aside by a Witham side with designs on automatic promotion.

Both sides came into the match having only played six league matches this year and could have been forgiven for being slow out the blocks. However, Witham hadn’t read the script and found the net after only 60 seconds before adding another only eight minutes later.

A dubious late penalty confirmed Witham’s dominance and condemned the Millers to a second home defeat in a week.

Aveley would have been looking for a quick start, having conceded early on in the half against VCD Athletic during the week, but found themselves a goal down after only 55 seconds.

A corner was swung in by James Stevens and Brad Stopher’s header looked destined for the far corner until Jack Giddens stuck out a hand to deny the defender. However, the ball wasn’t cleared and Kris Newby lashed home unmarked from near the penalty spot.

The away side, buoyed by the early goal, flooded forward in search for a second and scored again before the game was ten minutes old – Danny Emmanuel scoring his second goal in as many games after more neat work by Newby.

Aveley tried to work their way back into the game but couldn’t break down a well-organised Witham defence.

Aveley had a strong penalty shout turned down when Teddy Nesbitt went down under pressure but the home side failed to properly test Marytn Guest in the first 45 minutes.

The Millers had a half chance early in the second half when Jay Leader saw his 20 yard drive force away ’keeper Martyn Guest into action for the first time.

However, the game should have been put to bed five minutes later as the ball fell to Newby, who evaded Paul King’s desperate lunge, but saw his shot blocked by Giddens.

Kyle Asante and Nathan Koranteng had late chances to pull a goal back but saw their efforts miss the target and moments later Witham scored a third.

Newby went down under pressure from Sam Holloway in the area and the referee pointed to the spot, to the disbelief of Aveley boss Justin Gardner. Stevens dispatched the penalty. After the match Gardner said the one bright spot was the return of captain Billy Holland, who played for the first time in six months.

“We need that extra strength in midfield so it is great that Billy is back.

“The better team won today and, having gone two down in ten minutes, we showed great character to pull ourselves back into it.

“The referee shouldn’t have given a penalty but we didn’t create enough to take anything from this game. We move onto the next one.”

Aveley: Giddens, Osifuwa, Holloway, Leader, Golby (c), Okwera (Holland), Burnett, Koranteng (Weemes), Stephenson (Bakare), Asante, Nesbitt Witham Town: Guest, Mead, Murfet, Stopher, King (c), Stevens, Emmanuel, Olley (Wright), Townron (Green), Godbold, Newby (Wraight).