HAKAN Heyrettin was in a scornful, ruthless mood after seeing his side beaten 4-1 by Cheshunt.

The under-pressure Grays Athletic boss said the goal-keeping situation needs looking at, that Grays Athletic is not all about centre-half Junior Baker and that the referee was the worst he’d seen this season.

Fans were left enraged by his comments, especially those aimed at favourite Baker, who scored the winner against Romford last Wednesday. Some took to Twitter and a fans’ forum calling for him to walk.

The defeat was Blues’ first at home in the league this season and their biggest league defeat since April 2012.

But it was not just a poor game for Blues. Referee Oliver Jackson and his linesman Christopher Myatt had a torrid afternoon.

However, it was a defensive lapse that saw Grays concede after just four minutes. Ryan Kirby gifted the ball to Courtney White, whose 20-yard shot flew through George Kamurasi’s hands into the top-corner.

The officials then missed a blatant handball on the line by Cheshunt skipper Michael Deane, which left the watching referee assessor in shaking his head.

Grays had the lion’s share of possession throughout the game but failed to capitalise on a few goal mouth scrambles in the first half. The Cheshunt goal-keeper Obey Murefu was brave and the players in front of him spirited as they out-worked the home side.

In an eventful second half, Jackson further stoked the home fans fire of fury when he awarded the visitors a penalty. The foul looked to have been committed outside the box, but Tony Burke stepped up to double Cheshunt’s lead.

White then got his second and Cheshunt’s third. The in-form striker received a square pass from Corey Whitely before tapping into an empty net. Grays fans roared their disapproval, claiming Myatt had failed to spot White in an offside position.

Cheshunt midfielder Tommy Fletcher was shown a second yellow card and dismissed for a late tackle in the 65th minute and Blues thought their luck might change when Joe Sweeney came in off the right and swept home in the 80th minute.

Blues had a chance to launch a serious comeback when the referee gave a penalty after Muerefu felled Joao Carlos in the box. But full-back Danny Bunce struck the post from 12-yards.

As a dejected Grays continued to pile forward, Dan Greene strolled through the Grays midfield and lashed home a fourth for Cheshunt.

Reflecting on the game, Heyrettin said: “It wasn’t a 4-1. I think our goal-keeper’s made two bad mistakes.

“I think maybe it’s time we had a look at that situation. We’ll have to see if anyone else can come in and do a better job.

“They [Cheshunt] weren’t better than us. But they had the breaks and they scored the goals.

“I think the referee was poor. It’s difficult for people like me because we’re a non-entity in the eyes of the FA. It was an absolute disgrace.

“He’s got to be one of the worst referees we’ve had all season.

“For their fourth goal, we were set up to score with five forwards and Baker decides to go forward because the crowd think he’s the blue eyed boy, he isn’t by the way, and he’s cost us a goal. He thinks he’s the man and he isn’t. There’s other people here working just as hard as him.

“I think his attitude has got to change. Whatever team you play for, it isn’t about one man and he thinks sometimes it’s about him. If he doesn’t like it, he can go.

“I wasn’t impressed with his performance on Wednesday night and I wasn’t impressed with his performance today.”

On hearing that Maldon and Tiptree had beaten Ilford, Heyrettin added: “We’ve just got to keep going.”

Blues slipped to third with the defeat and now sit 15 points behind the league leaders.