Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TGNEWS to 80360 or you can email us Click here for details »
X Factor's Rylan Clark talks to the Gazette!!
3:20pm Wednesday 17th October 2012 in News
STANFORD-le-Hope X Factor star Rylan Clark is loving being in the smash hit television show.
The 23-year-old has been the subject of a Twitter hate campaign, but has hit back at critics, declaring: “Keep it coming, because I’m doing what I want to do and loving it.”
The Thurrock star also thanked locals for their support after he made it through to the third week of live shows on Sunday night, securing a large enough share of the public vote to avoid the dreaded “bottom two” showdown.
Speaking to the Gazette, Rylan, who moved to Stanford-le-Hope from London 11 years ago, said: “I’d just like to say a massive thank you to everyone in Thurrock who’s supporting me.
“Everyone knows each other in Thurrock. It’s such a close community and when someone’s doing something everyone gets behind you. It’s great when someone local does well.”
The hopeful is coming home this week to see his mum Linda, whom he lives with in Stanford.
He said: “I’m going to come home, see my mum. I’ve not seen her for six weeks and we’re very close so that’s been hard, but it will be nice to chill out, see her and have a few friends round.
“My mum’s told me the support has been great, with people knocking on the door and calling her.
“I really appreciate the supprt, so please don’t stop voting! I want to bring the title back to Essex.”
Rylan claimed Lakeside is the best part of Thurrock, before joking that he’ll keep mentioning the shopping centre until they send him free vouchers.
But after a long journey to the live shows, that started in March, Rylan said he isn’t bothered by the stick he’s been getting, adding he’s enjoying the X Factor whirlwind.
On Satuday night, Rylan’s entertaining dance-music performance included a cheeky rendition of judge Gary Barlow’s hit song Back For Good, with the pair sharing a joke afterwards.
Barlow stormed off-set last week after it was revealed his act Carolynne Poole was out of the competition at the expense of Rylan, sparking claims the show is fixed.
Gary told Rylan on Saturday: “If this was a competition of how many songs you could kill in two minutes, you would win hands down”.
The three other show judges moved to call Rylan’s performance entertaining and fun. Tulisa Contostavlos told Rylan the show needs someone like him in it.
Rylan said: “I am getting a lot of stick, but you know what, bring it on because I’m doing what I want to do and I’m loving it.
“I really enjoyed myself on Saturday. I was really nervous in the first week, but this week, I just thought I’m going to enjoy it. “I’ve worked liked every other contestant to get where we are. People don’t realise how much work goes in.
“I’ve got no expectations to win the show. I’m serious about doing dance music, but if going on stage and having fun makes you a joke act then fine, but I’m loving it and I’m so grateful for all the support.”
“It’s been an emotional rollercoaster, I’ve had so many ups and downs.”
Rylan added he and Gary Barlow get on really well, despite the Take That singers digs at Rylan’s performances.
Comments are closed on this article.