Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TGNEWS to 80360 or you can email us Click here for details »
Power station worker died after asbestos exposure
4:30pm Monday 3rd September 2012 in News
A FORMER worker at a power station died after being exposed to asbestos, an inquest has found.
Christopher Thomas, 67, of Elder Way, Wickford, was a former contractor at West Thurrock Power Station.
He died at Basildon Hospital on July 16 and a post-mortem found the cause of death to be advanced mesothelioma, which he had been battling for a year.
Mr Thomas was exposed to asbestos while working as a sheet metal worker at the power station between 1966 and 1971.
He went on to work as a taxi driver for almost 30 years.
During an inquest into his death held at Chelmsford Coroners Court on Tuesday, deputy coroner Eleanor McGann recorded a verdict of death by industrial disease.
Mrs McGann read comments from a statement left by Mr Thomas after he was diagnosed with the illness.
He said he was exposed to asbestos particularly when removing cladding, describing the air as “thick with dust”.
Paste used to fit the new cladding was made using asbestos and water.
Comments are closed on this article.