Man fined £1,500 after chopping down oak tree

Man fined £1,500 for chopping down oak tree

Man fined £1,500 for chopping down oak tree

First published in News

A MAN is out of pocket by more than £1,500 after chopping down an oak tree on his own land.

Haulage contractor Peter Seales, of Juliette Way, Purfleet, was ordered to pay a £667 fine, £828 costs and a £66 victim surcharge after pleading guilty to contravening a tree preservation order issued by Basildon Council.

Basildon Magistrates’ Court heard that onOctober 23 last year Seales caused, or permitted, the destruction of a protected oak on land he owns south of St Annes, Southbourne Grove, Wickford.

After the court hearing, Richard Moore, Basildon councillor responsible for planning, said: “This sends out a very strong message that this kind of wilful destruction and complete disregard of the law will not be tolerated in our borough.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:48am Sat 23 Aug 14

SWH says...

>“This sends out a very strong message that this kind of wilful destruction and complete disregard of the law will not be tolerated in our borough.”

More likely he sees the £1500 as a minor expense and is laughing in the council's face.
>“This sends out a very strong message that this kind of wilful destruction and complete disregard of the law will not be tolerated in our borough.” More likely he sees the £1500 as a minor expense and is laughing in the council's face. SWH
  • Score: 10

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree