The council's masterplan for reversing the fortunes of Thurrock's schools

Nicola Graham, headteacher of the Harris Academy, one of Thurrock's three teaching schools

Nicola Graham, headteacher of the Harris Academy, one of Thurrock's three teaching schools

First published in News Thurrock Gazette: Matt Abbott by , Chief Reporter

THE EXPERTISE of teachers at Thurrock’s top three performing schools will be used to improve and reshape education in the borough.

In the last few months, Carmel Littleton, the council’s education director and John Kent, the council leader and portfolio holder for education, have been forging a “masterplan”.

They have been working hard since the harsh findings of Christine Gilbert, a former Ofsted chief inspector, who probed the state of education in Thurrock over six months last year.

Problems included a lack of trust between the council and headteachers and a borough lacking a vision or a feasible strategy.

The primary schools issue was initially thrust into the spotlight at the end of November 2012 when Ofsted, ranked Thurrock in the bottom three for the percentage of schools that were either good or outstanding.

In 2013, though the borough’s primary schools had been found to improve, Thurrock still languished in the bottom three for the number of decent primary schools.

So just what is the council going to do to improve the situation?

One of its key plans is to work with the borough’s very best schools and share the secrets of their success.

Beacon Hill - a specialist school in South Ockendon - Dilkes, a top-performing primary school in South Ockedon, and secondary school the Harris Academy, Chafford Hundred are all graded outstanding by Ofsted - and fortunately already have special “teaching school” status, awarded by the government, to help other schools.

Ms Littleton said: “We’re really lucky here to have three schools that have teaching school status. We want to use them more.

“Schools that are really good at teaching and leading should be the ones that offer school improvement.

“They go into schools and offer courses, for instance, Dilkes offer a course in “high-impact” teaching, which was behind its speedy improvement.

“The role of the local authority is changing. We still need people to look at the data behind schools, and that’s what the LA does. But having day-to-day practitioners or teachers driving improvement is what we have at present.”

Thurrock Gazette: christine gilbert and carmel littleton

Christine Gilbert, left, with Carmel Littleton at last year's education summit

Ms Gilbert was keen to kick start a “big conversation” about the state of education in Thurrock to draw on achievements in the borough, while also looking at areas that need improving.

This has now happened and from that, a “vision” - something Ms Gilbert said Thurrock lacked - is being formed.

Ms Littleton said: “We have come up with a shared vision, designed by head teachers. We could have just sent something out, but we wanted to agree it with schools.

“The vision is, essentially, to get the highest achievement possible for every single child and to look at what’s best for every single child, individually. It includes looking at whether we’re doing the best for kids who don’t come to school every day, for instance.”

It is hoped that if - as Ms Gilbert pointed out - there were tensions between headteachers and the council, then that is now changing, as schools realise they need to work for the common good.

Another of Ms Gilbert’s recommendations was that Thurrock seeks to “recruit and retrain” the best teachers. One way Ms Littleton and Mr Kent plan to do this is by making the most of the world-class arts facilities on offer here.

Ms Littleton said: “We have spoken to 21 arts organisations, including the Royal Opera House and the Backstage Arts Centre and together we’re putting in place an offering that schools will buy into.

“It should have a knock on effect in attracting high quality teachers into the borough, knowing they get to work with high quality arts organisations.”

The council is keen, too, to celebrate the success of teachers by creating an awards scheme for them. It is hoped this will drive up ambition and achievement in teachers.

It’s clear that there is a long way to go. But as more and more schools become academies, requiring less input from the council, the role of the local authority is changing.

It’s worth remebering Thurrock Council - in its evolving role with schools - instigated the investigation carried out by Ms Gilbert last year - and is now working with schools to drive up standards.

Mr Kent added: “We’ve come a long way and made good progress. We know there’s more work to do.”

Thurrock Gazette: Thurrock Council leader John Kent wants parents to apply in good time.

John Kent: "We're making good progress, but there's a long way to go."

-----------------------------------

AT the end of 2012, after Ofsted dumped Thurrock in the bottom three nationally for the percentage of pupils getting a good or outstanding education, the council knew it had to act.

The man responsible for education then, councillor Oliver Gerrish, announced plans for an education summit in which he invited head teachers, Ofsted inspectors and politicians to discuss education in Thurrock.

At that summit in March 2013, Christine Gilbert, a former chief inspector of Ofsted, launched a the six-month probe, paid for at the cost of £25,000 by the council.

It found:

*a lack of trust between the council and headteachers

*that the borough lacked a vision and a strategy

*tensions between headteachers

*aspriations across the whole community needed lifting.

Ms Gilbert made recommendations which included forming a vision, recruiting and retaining the best teachers, encouraging good schools to lead improvement and celebrating education in Thurrock.

The report was published in October.

 

THE FACTS:

*Thurrock has just one outstanding primary school - Dilkes

*Since November 2012, 12 out of the 16 primary schools fully inspected by Ofsted in Thurrock were found to be inadequate or require improvement.

*Thurrock has three “teaching schools”: Beacon Hill , Dilkes and Harris Academy, Chafford Hundred *Tudor Court and Orsett primary schools are both ranked in the top 250 primary schools in the country for progress *Eight out of Thurrock’s 10 secondary schools are either good or outstanding, according to Ofsted.

*More than half (31 out of 52) of all the schools in Thurrock are now academies. Of the rest, nine are faith schools and 12 are local authority maintained

*ACADEMIES ARE SCHOOLS WHICH ARE FUNDED BY THE GOVERNMENT BUT WHICH MANAGE THEIR OWN FINANCES.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:57pm Thu 13 Feb 14

E.C.M. says...

'MasterpIan'? My a**e! A monkey’s uncle knows what should be done! Talking the talk is one thing…but walking the talk is another!

I could sort out Thurrock's woes in days...and for just 99p! Buy an old bamboo and bring back the cane!

Discipline, respect and authority is what's required...and pupils having a pen and pencil for starters! They've all got f*****g mobile phones...but rarely possess the equipment to write with! Priorities eh?

I really love the picture above from the Chafford Carpet-us ‘examination factory’! They may produce students with ‘qualifications’
, but how many are actually ‘educated’? The sterile and soulless environment may have nice carpets thanks to Lord Harris, but fun and laughter are sadly missing when you see the ‘robots’ in their fancy uniform!

School days are meant to be the best of your life! Would the two pupils in the photo above agree?! Not exactly full of fun and frivolity are they?!

'Even' politicians have finally realised this week that a young adult's economic well-being is not guaranteed by 'qualifications' alone. See http://www.bbc.co.uk
/news/education-2611
8581

Alas, until John Kent (who still refers to students or pupils as 'kids'...which in fact are baby goats!), council leader and portfolio holder for education and his cronies understand the sentiments of the APPG (see weblink above), the phrase ‘rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic” will continue to spring to mind!
'MasterpIan'? My a**e! A monkey’s uncle knows what should be done! Talking the talk is one thing…but walking the talk is another! I could sort out Thurrock's woes in days...and for just 99p! Buy an old bamboo and bring back the cane! Discipline, respect and authority is what's required...and pupils having a pen and pencil for starters! They've all got f*****g mobile phones...but rarely possess the equipment to write with! Priorities eh? I really love the picture above from the Chafford Carpet-us ‘examination factory’! They may produce students with ‘qualifications’ , but how many are actually ‘educated’? The sterile and soulless environment may have nice carpets thanks to Lord Harris, but fun and laughter are sadly missing when you see the ‘robots’ in their fancy uniform! School days are meant to be the best of your life! Would the two pupils in the photo above agree?! Not exactly full of fun and frivolity are they?! 'Even' politicians have finally realised this week that a young adult's economic well-being is not guaranteed by 'qualifications' alone. See http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/education-2611 8581 Alas, until John Kent (who still refers to students or pupils as 'kids'...which in fact are baby goats!), council leader and portfolio holder for education and his cronies understand the sentiments of the APPG (see weblink above), the phrase ‘rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic” will continue to spring to mind! E.C.M.
  • Score: -5

10:03pm Thu 13 Feb 14

E.C.M. says...

“Belligerent ghouls run Manchester (Thurrock) schools,
Spineless swines, cemented minds!”
Morrissey (1984)
“Belligerent ghouls run Manchester (Thurrock) schools, Spineless swines, cemented minds!” Morrissey (1984) E.C.M.
  • Score: 2

11:00pm Thu 13 Feb 14

I_am_Rob says...

So successful schools, helping non successful schools, only E.C.M can find fault with that, especially as its includes E.C.M's pet hate school Harris.

I challenge you to contact the head of Harris, if you feel you have got something real to offer the schools, stand up and help. However, we know that's not going to happen......

I have had children go to Harris, and they have turned out OK, I have a son there now and his happy. I only wished I had such a supportive school when I had my education.

As for the cane, it would only be needed for bad behavior and I see none.
So successful schools, helping non successful schools, only E.C.M can find fault with that, especially as its includes E.C.M's pet hate school Harris. I challenge you to contact the head of Harris, if you feel you have got something real to offer the schools, stand up and help. However, we know that's not going to happen...... I have had children go to Harris, and they have turned out OK, I have a son there now and his happy. I only wished I had such a supportive school when I had my education. As for the cane, it would only be needed for bad behavior and I see none. I_am_Rob
  • Score: 5

8:58am Fri 14 Feb 14

E.C.M. says...

Rob, you Spoon! How do you define ‘successful’ schools? Would Eton & Harrow really be able to improve those in Tilbury, Grays and Pufleet? Surly, context is important?!
How wrong you are! I’ve spoken with ‘Tommo’ many, many times and without blowing my own trumpet, believe in a professional capacity, I have certainly done my bit to improve all schools, Secondary and Primary within sunny Thurrock!
I have nothing against The Harris Academy per se, but personally believe such ‘exam factories’ epitomize what’s wrong with education in Britain today!
Your children went to the Carpet-us “and they have turned out OK”! Okay…okay! Sorry, but I want better for my children than just ‘okay’!
Confident individuals for starters, who are resilient and retain a thirst for knowledge, who are educated and not just ‘qualified’! Boys and girls who have been allowed to develop the capacities they will need to thrive in life to become responsible citizens and make a positive contribution to society…all with a smile on their face, because their school days were the best of their lives (so far!)!
You’ve seen no bad behaviour?!!! How naïve are you, if you seriously believe there is no disruption to learning at this school?! Any school that boasts of no behavioural issues, are simply in self-denial! Some people, some people say self-harm is of epidemic proportions there?
Miscreants who do not conform to the ‘Harris way’ soon receive a one way ticket to the Pupil Referral Unit in Daiglen Drive! Go there, see how many of the permanently excluded students who reside at the Culver Centre are disproportionately represented amongst the cohort of students!
I rest my case m’Lord…no further questions!
Rob, you Spoon! How do you define ‘successful’ schools? Would Eton & Harrow really be able to improve those in Tilbury, Grays and Pufleet? Surly, context is important?! How wrong you are! I’ve spoken with ‘Tommo’ many, many times and without blowing my own trumpet, believe in a professional capacity, I have certainly done my bit to improve all schools, Secondary and Primary within sunny Thurrock! I have nothing against The Harris Academy per se, but personally believe such ‘exam factories’ epitomize what’s wrong with education in Britain today! Your children went to the Carpet-us “and they have turned out OK”! Okay…okay! Sorry, but I want better for my children than just ‘okay’! Confident individuals for starters, who are resilient and retain a thirst for knowledge, who are educated and not just ‘qualified’! Boys and girls who have been allowed to develop the capacities they will need to thrive in life to become responsible citizens and make a positive contribution to society…all with a smile on their face, because their school days were the best of their lives (so far!)! You’ve seen no bad behaviour?!!! How naïve are you, if you seriously believe there is no disruption to learning at this school?! Any school that boasts of no behavioural issues, are simply in self-denial! Some people, some people say self-harm is of epidemic proportions there? Miscreants who do not conform to the ‘Harris way’ soon receive a one way ticket to the Pupil Referral Unit in Daiglen Drive! Go there, see how many of the permanently excluded students who reside at the Culver Centre are disproportionately represented amongst the cohort of students! I rest my case m’Lord…no further questions! E.C.M.
  • Score: -4

3:39pm Sun 16 Feb 14

timmoore says...

Hello E.C.M.

My name is Tim Moore and I’m chair of governors at Harris Academy Chafford Hundred. I’m also a parent of two daughters that studied at the academy (one currently in the sixth form). Given the insults and the outrageous comments you’ve made, I expect you’ll choose to remain anonymous.

Normally, I’d let this type of nonsense go but as you have rested your slanderous case, let’s examine the evidence…

“How many are actually educated?”

As you know, 93% of students achieved 5 A*-C grades including English and Maths last year so the ‘factory’ is clearly working well in that regard. But as you elude to, academic achievement is not the only factor or pathway to creating successful and fulfilling lives.

For an impartial view, let’s take a look at the most recent ‘mock Ofsted’ inspection report which is available on the academy website. They say, “Extracurricular activities are extensive and appreciated by students. The schools ethos, students’ rich experience during their time in school and the taught curriculum promotes students’ social, moral, cultural and spiritual development exceptionally well.”

These extracurricular activities are provided by extremely hard working staff, who go way beyond the call of duty, often outside of directed time, for the benefit of the students.

“Sterile and soulless?”

I invite you (and anyone else) to visit the academy and we’ll walk around together. You’ll find plenty of “fun and laughter” from some fine young citizens that are confident, communicative, entrepreneurial, supportive and humourous. In short, they have the character and resilience the APPG refer to and they will go on to make a positive contribution to society – no “robots” around here.

“I want better for my children than OK”

Following the opening of the sixth form, we now have many HACH students being accepted to Russell Group universities including Cambridge University. I think you’ll agree, that’s rather better than “Okay”.

“One way trip to the pupil referral unit”

In a school of 1,144 students there will always be one or two that need extra help from the pastoral support team and on very rare occasions we make exclusions, like all schools. The facts are there were no permanent exclusions at all from Autumn Term 2012 to Summer Term 2013. The highest fixed term exclusion percentage for a term during that period was 1.92% (against a national average of 7.98%).

A few more excerpts from the mock Oftsed report for you – “Behaviour is exemplary”, “Students feel safe, happy and secure”, “There is an exceptionally strong pastoral support team” and “The school has very high expectations of students to which they positively and willingly respond”.

We simply expect students to turn up (in the right uniform, which is not “fancy” at all), be prepared to study hard and respect fellow students and staff. That’s it. No canes required E.C.M.

HACH has demonstrated children from any group or background have the opportunity to succeed. There is no selection and we have the highest percentage of children with a statement of special educational needs in Thurrock. Yet there is no gap between their achievement and other students. Generally, our lower ability students on entry make the greatest progress of all.

Rather than be cynical about the new masterplan, I choose to be optimistic because young people in Thurrock deserve better provision and it’s time to put the past behind us. The HACH teaching school status was not achieved lightly and there is now a local resource that can benefit other schools in the area.

It’s sad that education is so politicised and you clearly have an agenda E.C.M. If we can, for once, take the politics out of education we have every opportunity to turn provision in Thurrock around.

Your case, ECM, has been thrown out of court.
Hello E.C.M. My name is Tim Moore and I’m chair of governors at Harris Academy Chafford Hundred. I’m also a parent of two daughters that studied at the academy (one currently in the sixth form). Given the insults and the outrageous comments you’ve made, I expect you’ll choose to remain anonymous. Normally, I’d let this type of nonsense go but as you have rested your slanderous case, let’s examine the evidence… “How many are actually educated?” As you know, 93% of students achieved 5 A*-C grades including English and Maths last year so the ‘factory’ is clearly working well in that regard. But as you elude to, academic achievement is not the only factor or pathway to creating successful and fulfilling lives. For an impartial view, let’s take a look at the most recent ‘mock Ofsted’ inspection report which is available on the academy website. They say, “Extracurricular activities are extensive and appreciated by students. The schools ethos, students’ rich experience during their time in school and the taught curriculum promotes students’ social, moral, cultural and spiritual development exceptionally well.” These extracurricular activities are provided by extremely hard working staff, who go way beyond the call of duty, often outside of directed time, for the benefit of the students. “Sterile and soulless?” I invite you (and anyone else) to visit the academy and we’ll walk around together. You’ll find plenty of “fun and laughter” from some fine young citizens that are confident, communicative, entrepreneurial, supportive and humourous. In short, they have the character and resilience the APPG refer to and they will go on to make a positive contribution to society – no “robots” around here. “I want better for my children than OK” Following the opening of the sixth form, we now have many HACH students being accepted to Russell Group universities including Cambridge University. I think you’ll agree, that’s rather better than “Okay”. “One way trip to the pupil referral unit” In a school of 1,144 students there will always be one or two that need extra help from the pastoral support team and on very rare occasions we make exclusions, like all schools. The facts are there were no permanent exclusions at all from Autumn Term 2012 to Summer Term 2013. The highest fixed term exclusion percentage for a term during that period was 1.92% (against a national average of 7.98%). A few more excerpts from the mock Oftsed report for you – “Behaviour is exemplary”, “Students feel safe, happy and secure”, “There is an exceptionally strong pastoral support team” and “The school has very high expectations of students to which they positively and willingly respond”. We simply expect students to turn up (in the right uniform, which is not “fancy” at all), be prepared to study hard and respect fellow students and staff. That’s it. No canes required E.C.M. HACH has demonstrated children from any group or background have the opportunity to succeed. There is no selection and we have the highest percentage of children with a statement of special educational needs in Thurrock. Yet there is no gap between their achievement and other students. Generally, our lower ability students on entry make the greatest progress of all. Rather than be cynical about the new masterplan, I choose to be optimistic because young people in Thurrock deserve better provision and it’s time to put the past behind us. The HACH teaching school status was not achieved lightly and there is now a local resource that can benefit other schools in the area. It’s sad that education is so politicised and you clearly have an agenda E.C.M. If we can, for once, take the politics out of education we have every opportunity to turn provision in Thurrock around. Your case, ECM, has been thrown out of court. timmoore
  • Score: 4

4:30pm Sun 16 Feb 14

I_am_Rob says...

Tim,

A good response, full of real facts and you are not hiding like some people using this site the air their own grievance.

E.C.M stop hiding behind the anonymous nature of this website. You have been offered a visit, however I feel you have already been and worked in the school as already stated. You say you have nothing against the school, however over the years and the history of the site says something different.

Even in times when the students themselves have celebrated good results you have responded with scorn, I do not find you sincere.

And for information, my son is very happy, his friends are very happy and I feel is the one member of my family will make it to university if he wishes it, I will support him with whatever decision he makes.
Tim, A good response, full of real facts and you are not hiding like some people using this site the air their own grievance. E.C.M stop hiding behind the anonymous nature of this website. You have been offered a visit, however I feel you have already been and worked in the school as already stated. You say you have nothing against the school, however over the years and the history of the site says something different. Even in times when the students themselves have celebrated good results you have responded with scorn, I do not find you sincere. And for information, my son is very happy, his friends are very happy and I feel is the one member of my family will make it to university if he wishes it, I will support him with whatever decision he makes. I_am_Rob
  • Score: 2

6:27pm Sun 16 Feb 14

rocket1 says...

my son left the sixth form last year and is now at a good university,ECM clearly has a grudge against the harris chafford school but he is spouting a load of baloney.
my son left the sixth form last year and is now at a good university,ECM clearly has a grudge against the harris chafford school but he is spouting a load of baloney. rocket1
  • Score: 2

9:23pm Sun 16 Feb 14

Marcus P says...

I have no issues with Harris Academy, however strategies that work there may not be effective in other schools.
I have no issues with Harris Academy, however strategies that work there may not be effective in other schools. Marcus P
  • Score: 2

11:50pm Sun 16 Feb 14

E.C.M. says...

Marcus P wrote:
I have no issues with Harris Academy, however strategies that work there may not be effective in other schools.
Marcus P, Here, here! Horses for courses! I couldn't agree more!
[quote][p][bold]Marcus P[/bold] wrote: I have no issues with Harris Academy, however strategies that work there may not be effective in other schools.[/p][/quote]Marcus P, Here, here! Horses for courses! I couldn't agree more! E.C.M.
  • Score: 0

12:31am Mon 17 Feb 14

I_am_Rob says...

Marcus P wrote:
I have no issues with Harris Academy, however strategies that work there may not be effective in other schools.
Unless you try, you'll never know.....

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Chafford Hundred was a failing school many years ago, they learned how to do it a different way, the same team went into Greenwich invited, and that school is now one of the best in the area.

Must be doing something right.
[quote][p][bold]Marcus P[/bold] wrote: I have no issues with Harris Academy, however strategies that work there may not be effective in other schools.[/p][/quote]Unless you try, you'll never know..... Be the change you wish to see in the world. Chafford Hundred was a failing school many years ago, they learned how to do it a different way, the same team went into Greenwich invited, and that school is now one of the best in the area. Must be doing something right. I_am_Rob
  • Score: 1

12:39am Mon 17 Feb 14

E.C.M. says...

rocket1 wrote:
my son left the sixth form last year and is now at a good university,ECM clearly has a grudge against the harris chafford school but he is spouting a load of baloney.
rocket1, Deary, deary me! How many more times, I have nothing per se against The Harris Academy! I just wouldn't...couldn't send my children there! This is my opinion, which correct me if I am wrong, but I am allowed!

This is purely based on my own personal experience of The Chafford Campus and other Harris schools in South London and that of many friends, who have either been employed there or whose children have been on roll.

I honestly wish your son the best of luck at his "good university" (whatever that means?) and every success in the future! Remember, there are currently a million ('qualified') N.E.E.T...it's a jungle out there!

I'm just promoting debate and discussion, whilst highlighting the fact that neither happiness, nor economic well-being is guarenteed in life, just because you attend The Harris Academy, as sadly, so many poor misguided soles genuinely believe!
[quote][p][bold]rocket1[/bold] wrote: my son left the sixth form last year and is now at a good university,ECM clearly has a grudge against the harris chafford school but he is spouting a load of baloney.[/p][/quote]rocket1, Deary, deary me! How many more times, I have nothing per se against The Harris Academy! I just wouldn't...couldn't send my children there! This is my opinion, which correct me if I am wrong, but I am allowed! This is purely based on my own personal experience of The Chafford Campus and other Harris schools in South London and that of many friends, who have either been employed there or whose children have been on roll. I honestly wish your son the best of luck at his "good university" (whatever that means?) and every success in the future! Remember, there are currently a million ('qualified') N.E.E.T...it's a jungle out there! I'm just promoting debate and discussion, whilst highlighting the fact that neither happiness, nor economic well-being is guarenteed in life, just because you attend The Harris Academy, as sadly, so many poor misguided soles genuinely believe! E.C.M.
  • Score: 1

1:21am Mon 17 Feb 14

E.C.M. says...

I_am_Rob wrote:
Marcus P wrote: I have no issues with Harris Academy, however strategies that work there may not be effective in other schools.
Unless you try, you'll never know..... Be the change you wish to see in the world. Chafford Hundred was a failing school many years ago, they learned how to do it a different way, the same team went into Greenwich invited, and that school is now one of the best in the area. Must be doing something right.
I_am_Rob,

You didn't answer my question posed on a previous post?! Would Eton & Harrow really be able to improve those schools in Tilbury, Grays and Pufleet?

Education isn't a one size fits all scenario you know?! Otherwise, schooling would be simple...wouldn't it?

"Chafford Hundred was a failing school many years ago". Allegedly, the Head of English (Australian) taught the wrong syllabus?! The ensuing years the correct curriculum was delivered...hence the rise in ‘qualifications’
! "Lies, damned lies, and statistics"!!!

You do know, if you entered only top grade students for exams, you’re A* - C GCSEs including Maths & English would invariably reach the heady heights of 100%...now there’s a thought!

"Must be doing something right"? Agreed, they are...the Harris Academy play the 'qualifications game', which to be honest most 'wise' schools do also!

Eltham Greem, the school you elude to, has improved its GCSE league table position...well done, god bless ya! My point is, so what?

Did they achieve this outcome by additional Maths and English intervention during pupils 'playtime' or Saturday mornings or by replacing 'non-important' subjects like PE or PSHE?!

If so perish the thought, will this have a detrimental effect on a child’s ‘education’ long term? Does this matter? Once a student has completed the academy conveyor belt…what do ‘examination factories’ care about what happens to them in the future...even if ECM (Every Child Matters)?!

Oooh…emotive questions eh?!
[quote][p][bold]I_am_Rob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Marcus P[/bold] wrote: I have no issues with Harris Academy, however strategies that work there may not be effective in other schools.[/p][/quote]Unless you try, you'll never know..... Be the change you wish to see in the world. Chafford Hundred was a failing school many years ago, they learned how to do it a different way, the same team went into Greenwich invited, and that school is now one of the best in the area. Must be doing something right.[/p][/quote]I_am_Rob, You didn't answer my question posed on a previous post?! Would Eton & Harrow really be able to improve those schools in Tilbury, Grays and Pufleet? Education isn't a one size fits all scenario you know?! Otherwise, schooling would be simple...wouldn't it? "Chafford Hundred was a failing school many years ago". Allegedly, the Head of English (Australian) taught the wrong syllabus?! The ensuing years the correct curriculum was delivered...hence the rise in ‘qualifications’ ! "Lies, damned lies, and statistics"!!! You do know, if you entered only top grade students for exams, you’re A* - C GCSEs including Maths & English would invariably reach the heady heights of 100%...now there’s a thought! "Must be doing something right"? Agreed, they are...the Harris Academy play the 'qualifications game', which to be honest most 'wise' schools do also! Eltham Greem, the school you elude to, has improved its GCSE league table position...well done, god bless ya! My point is, so what? Did they achieve this outcome by additional Maths and English intervention during pupils 'playtime' or Saturday mornings or by replacing 'non-important' subjects like PE or PSHE?! If so perish the thought, will this have a detrimental effect on a child’s ‘education’ long term? Does this matter? Once a student has completed the academy conveyor belt…what do ‘examination factories’ care about what happens to them in the future...even if ECM (Every Child Matters)?! Oooh…emotive questions eh?! E.C.M.
  • Score: 1

7:42am Mon 17 Feb 14

I_am_Rob says...

E.C.M. wrote:
I_am_Rob wrote:
Marcus P wrote: I have no issues with Harris Academy, however strategies that work there may not be effective in other schools.
Unless you try, you'll never know..... Be the change you wish to see in the world. Chafford Hundred was a failing school many years ago, they learned how to do it a different way, the same team went into Greenwich invited, and that school is now one of the best in the area. Must be doing something right.
I_am_Rob,

You didn't answer my question posed on a previous post?! Would Eton & Harrow really be able to improve those schools in Tilbury, Grays and Pufleet?

Education isn't a one size fits all scenario you know?! Otherwise, schooling would be simple...wouldn't it?

"Chafford Hundred was a failing school many years ago". Allegedly, the Head of English (Australian) taught the wrong syllabus?! The ensuing years the correct curriculum was delivered...hence the rise in ‘qualifications’

! "Lies, damned lies, and statistics"!!!

You do know, if you entered only top grade students for exams, you’re A* - C GCSEs including Maths & English would invariably reach the heady heights of 100%...now there’s a thought!

"Must be doing something right"? Agreed, they are...the Harris Academy play the 'qualifications game', which to be honest most 'wise' schools do also!

Eltham Greem, the school you elude to, has improved its GCSE league table position...well done, god bless ya! My point is, so what?

Did they achieve this outcome by additional Maths and English intervention during pupils 'playtime' or Saturday mornings or by replacing 'non-important' subjects like PE or PSHE?!

If so perish the thought, will this have a detrimental effect on a child’s ‘education’ long term? Does this matter? Once a student has completed the academy conveyor belt…what do ‘examination factories’ care about what happens to them in the future...even if ECM (Every Child Matters)?!

Oooh…emotive questions eh?!
E.C.M I would not expect any schools outside of the borough to be invited into Thurrock when I feel we have good schools that can work together , the relationships are already in place.

Don't forget Chafford Hundred was already an outstanding school with good results prior to becoming Harris.

I don't have all of the answers, I'm sure you feel you do, I'm sure your a teacher and rather than us writing within this forum to the early hours (yes we are really sad) lets have some real debate. Take Tim up on his invite, he made it open, I'll come too.

May I suggest you go into politics if not already, "be the change". Don't go for either labour, conservatives or one of the others, go independent that way you can support the items on the agenda that you feel are correct and oppose the ones you don't.

There is so much history within the papers articles that we have read and responded to over the years.

As Tim has pointed out, for far too long Thurrock has been about politics, bad politics, my opinion, a reason why Chafford become Harris was to go beyond LA control. That's why the majority of local schools become Academy's, the LA was not working through years of bad leadership. It maybe better now and that is why there is a need to mend bridges.

You have said numerous times you are not against HACH, however I feel the meaning of your words tells a different story, its just how some of us have interpreted it that's all.
[quote][p][bold]E.C.M.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]I_am_Rob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Marcus P[/bold] wrote: I have no issues with Harris Academy, however strategies that work there may not be effective in other schools.[/p][/quote]Unless you try, you'll never know..... Be the change you wish to see in the world. Chafford Hundred was a failing school many years ago, they learned how to do it a different way, the same team went into Greenwich invited, and that school is now one of the best in the area. Must be doing something right.[/p][/quote]I_am_Rob, You didn't answer my question posed on a previous post?! Would Eton & Harrow really be able to improve those schools in Tilbury, Grays and Pufleet? Education isn't a one size fits all scenario you know?! Otherwise, schooling would be simple...wouldn't it? "Chafford Hundred was a failing school many years ago". Allegedly, the Head of English (Australian) taught the wrong syllabus?! The ensuing years the correct curriculum was delivered...hence the rise in ‘qualifications’ ! "Lies, damned lies, and statistics"!!! You do know, if you entered only top grade students for exams, you’re A* - C GCSEs including Maths & English would invariably reach the heady heights of 100%...now there’s a thought! "Must be doing something right"? Agreed, they are...the Harris Academy play the 'qualifications game', which to be honest most 'wise' schools do also! Eltham Greem, the school you elude to, has improved its GCSE league table position...well done, god bless ya! My point is, so what? Did they achieve this outcome by additional Maths and English intervention during pupils 'playtime' or Saturday mornings or by replacing 'non-important' subjects like PE or PSHE?! If so perish the thought, will this have a detrimental effect on a child’s ‘education’ long term? Does this matter? Once a student has completed the academy conveyor belt…what do ‘examination factories’ care about what happens to them in the future...even if ECM (Every Child Matters)?! Oooh…emotive questions eh?![/p][/quote]E.C.M I would not expect any schools outside of the borough to be invited into Thurrock when I feel we have good schools that can work together , the relationships are already in place. Don't forget Chafford Hundred was already an outstanding school with good results prior to becoming Harris. I don't have all of the answers, I'm sure you feel you do, I'm sure your a teacher and rather than us writing within this forum to the early hours (yes we are really sad) lets have some real debate. Take Tim up on his invite, he made it open, I'll come too. May I suggest you go into politics if not already, "be the change". Don't go for either labour, conservatives or one of the others, go independent that way you can support the items on the agenda that you feel are correct and oppose the ones you don't. There is so much history within the papers articles that we have read and responded to over the years. As Tim has pointed out, for far too long Thurrock has been about politics, bad politics, my opinion, a reason why Chafford become Harris was to go beyond LA control. That's why the majority of local schools become Academy's, the LA was not working through years of bad leadership. It maybe better now and that is why there is a need to mend bridges. You have said numerous times you are not against HACH, however I feel the meaning of your words tells a different story, its just how some of us have interpreted it that's all. I_am_Rob
  • Score: 0

8:48am Mon 17 Feb 14

rocket1 says...

don't bother arguing with him,he has an axe to grind and nothing will change that.
don't bother arguing with him,he has an axe to grind and nothing will change that. rocket1
  • Score: 2

9:38am Mon 17 Feb 14

E.C.M. says...

Hmm…well done ‘Tim nice but dim’…remember the Harry Enfield TV character? No? Then again you’re probably more of a Waterloo Road man, gauging by your retort!

I certainly seemed to have rattled your cage or struck a nerve?! Maybe, the truth hurts? Wasn’t it George Bernard Shaw, who said “humanity cannot deal with reality”?!

Thank you, I have read the “impartial” mock Ofsted Report and it is indeed, absolutely fab-u-lous! However, call me old fashioned, but my very own school days taught me (especially during History lessons), that whenever reading propaganda…always consider ‘who’ in fact is writing the text!

If you keep writing the stuff, there’s certainly the likelihood that you might even genuinely believe your own hype!

From a team sport perspective, the Academy certainly could do better! Harris couldn’t beat an egg…even in the weakest district in Essex!

Even The Convent recently promoted the fact an ex-pupil was off to Oxbridge and you allude to similar examples, which I have no reason to doubt! Nevertheless, is this fact solely down to the school or are there other extrinsic factors involved that contribute? Surly, parental support, and influence is key?

We had three national swimmers at our school...and didn't even have a pool! Nevertheless, we still took the credit for this achievement...but Romford Killer Whales probably had a 'slight’ input!

I beg to differ regarding ex-HACH students at the Thurrock PRU. I know them by name! You my friend, even in your lofty position have either been sadly misguided or been treated like a mushroom…kept in the dark and fed manure!

Would Eton & Harrow really be able to improve those schools in Tilbury, Grays and Pufleet? Surly, context is important?!

Education isn't a one size fits all scenario you know?! Otherwise, schooling would be simple...wouldn't it? We’d all sign up to the Harris ‘way’ and become ‘Stepfordised’
Bob’s your uncle, Fanny’s your aunt, job done!! Thankfully, the beauty of education, education, education to coin a phrase, is choice and horses for courses!

I choose not to send my children to the Carpet-us examination factory…which is my prerogative and I guess you’re eternally grateful! Gosh, imagine me at Parents Evening and how much ‘fun’ we would have had!!!

Right, my last words on the matter…probably!

Adapted from The Office: I don't look upon this like it's the end, I look upon it like it's moving on you know. It's almost like my work here's done. I can't imagine Jesus going 'Oh, I've told a few people in Bethlehem I'm the son of God, can I just stay here with Mum and Dad now?' No. You gotta move on. You gotta spread the word. You gotta go to Nazareth, please. And that's, very much like... me. My world does not end within these four walls, Thurrock's a big place. And when I've finished with Chafford Hundred, there's Grays, Purfleet, Tilbury, you know I've got to-Corringham, Orsett. You know. My-Stanford le Hope...!!!

Talking of Jesus…Timbo, don’t take yourself too seriously and remember Harris Academy these profound words "Father forgive them, for they do not know what they do"!
Hmm…well done ‘Tim nice but dim’…remember the Harry Enfield TV character? No? Then again you’re probably more of a Waterloo Road man, gauging by your retort! I certainly seemed to have rattled your cage or struck a nerve?! Maybe, the truth hurts? Wasn’t it George Bernard Shaw, who said “humanity cannot deal with reality”?! Thank you, I have read the “impartial” mock Ofsted Report and it is indeed, absolutely fab-u-lous! However, call me old fashioned, but my very own school days taught me (especially during History lessons), that whenever reading propaganda…always consider ‘who’ in fact is writing the text! If you keep writing the stuff, there’s certainly the likelihood that you might even genuinely believe your own hype! From a team sport perspective, the Academy certainly could do better! Harris couldn’t beat an egg…even in the weakest district in Essex! Even The Convent recently promoted the fact an ex-pupil was off to Oxbridge and you allude to similar examples, which I have no reason to doubt! Nevertheless, is this fact solely down to the school or are there other extrinsic factors involved that contribute? Surly, parental support, and influence is key? We had three national swimmers at our school...and didn't even have a pool! Nevertheless, we still took the credit for this achievement...but Romford Killer Whales probably had a 'slight’ input! I beg to differ regarding ex-HACH students at the Thurrock PRU. I know them by name! You my friend, even in your lofty position have either been sadly misguided or been treated like a mushroom…kept in the dark and fed manure! Would Eton & Harrow really be able to improve those schools in Tilbury, Grays and Pufleet? Surly, context is important?! Education isn't a one size fits all scenario you know?! Otherwise, schooling would be simple...wouldn't it? We’d all sign up to the Harris ‘way’ and become ‘Stepfordised’ Bob’s your uncle, Fanny’s your aunt, job done!! Thankfully, the beauty of education, education, education to coin a phrase, is choice and horses for courses! I choose not to send my children to the Carpet-us examination factory…which is my prerogative and I guess you’re eternally grateful! Gosh, imagine me at Parents Evening and how much ‘fun’ we would have had!!! Right, my last words on the matter…probably! Adapted from The Office: I don't look upon this like it's the end, I look upon it like it's moving on you know. It's almost like my work here's done. I can't imagine Jesus going 'Oh, I've told a few people in Bethlehem I'm the son of God, can I just stay here with Mum and Dad now?' No. You gotta move on. You gotta spread the word. You gotta go to Nazareth, please. And that's, very much like... me. My world does not end within these four walls, Thurrock's a big place. And when I've finished with Chafford Hundred, there's Grays, Purfleet, Tilbury, you know I've got to-Corringham, Orsett. You know. My-Stanford le Hope...!!! Talking of Jesus…Timbo, don’t take yourself too seriously and remember Harris Academy these profound words "Father forgive them, for they do not know what they do"! E.C.M.
  • Score: -2

9:41am Mon 17 Feb 14

rocket1 says...

''so many poor misguided soles genuinely believe!''--ECM.for a person so experienced in education your spelling is very poor.
''so many poor misguided soles genuinely believe!''--ECM.for a person so experienced in education your spelling is very poor. rocket1
  • Score: 2

9:54am Mon 17 Feb 14

E.C.M. says...

rocket1, Alas, not my spelling, but my use of the incorrect word...'souls', not 'soles'! Not bad, my first mistake since February 14th 2007,,,but that's a different story!

In my defence, I was writing this post in the early hours...and as I_am_Rob remarks is extremely 'sad'!

Best wishes and enjoy half-term...I certainly am going to!
rocket1, Alas, not my spelling, but my use of the incorrect word...'souls', not 'soles'! Not bad, my first mistake since February 14th 2007,,,but that's a different story! In my defence, I was writing this post in the early hours...and as I_am_Rob remarks is extremely 'sad'! Best wishes and enjoy half-term...I certainly am going to! E.C.M.
  • Score: 0

10:03am Mon 17 Feb 14

timmoore says...

'Tim nice but dim' – never heard that one before. Yawn!

If you decide to crawl out from under your rock and meet me for some meaningful discussion perhaps you could help me be a better governor by asking more challenging questions? Feel free to email me direct T.Moore@harrischaffo
rdhundred.org.uk or turn up to an open evening and share your opinion to balance our 'propaganda'? That's what someone genuinely interested in achieving better outcomes for Thurrock children would do.

No? You just enjoy being mischevious don't you? It's a little sad.

Those are definitely my last words on the matter unless you choose to man up and meet me.

Timbo (I quite like that one)
'Tim nice but dim' – never heard that one before. Yawn! If you decide to crawl out from under your rock and meet me for some meaningful discussion perhaps you could help me be a better governor by asking more challenging questions? Feel free to email me direct T.Moore@harrischaffo rdhundred.org.uk or turn up to an open evening and share your opinion to balance our 'propaganda'? That's what someone genuinely interested in achieving better outcomes for Thurrock children would do. No? You just enjoy being mischevious don't you? It's a little sad. Those are definitely my last words on the matter unless you choose to man up and meet me. Timbo (I quite like that one) timmoore
  • Score: 1

10:25am Mon 17 Feb 14

rocket1 says...

so what school did you decide to send your children too after they got turned down by chafford campus?.
so what school did you decide to send your children too after they got turned down by chafford campus?. rocket1
  • Score: 2

2:55pm Mon 17 Feb 14

E.C.M. says...

rocket1 wrote:
so what school did you decide to send your children too after they got turned down by chafford campus?.
I can't tell you I'm afraid...it's a secret! I'd have to kill you afterwards if I told you! Suffice to say it's not The Harris Academy is all you need to know! Nooo way Jose!
[quote][p][bold]rocket1[/bold] wrote: so what school did you decide to send your children too after they got turned down by chafford campus?.[/p][/quote]I can't tell you I'm afraid...it's a secret! I'd have to kill you afterwards if I told you! Suffice to say it's not The Harris Academy is all you need to know! Nooo way Jose! E.C.M.
  • Score: 0

3:48pm Mon 17 Feb 14

E.C.M. says...

Hey rocket!, it ain't Manor Primary either!!! Have a look at Yourthurrock! You're getting warmer...only 51 schools now it could be!

What on earth can they do there to turn it around? Thoughts?
Hey rocket!, it ain't Manor Primary either!!! Have a look at Yourthurrock! You're getting warmer...only 51 schools now it could be! What on earth can they do there to turn it around? Thoughts? E.C.M.
  • Score: 0

4:08pm Mon 17 Feb 14

rocket1 says...

obviously you think you have all the answers,why don't you stand for election and put your expertise to good use?.
obviously you think you have all the answers,why don't you stand for election and put your expertise to good use?. rocket1
  • Score: 0

6:29pm Mon 17 Feb 14

E.C.M. says...

rocket1 wrote:
obviously you think you have all the answers,why don't you stand for election and put your expertise to good use?.
Moi? Alas, I don't have 'all' the answers, but I believe my learned friends and I could address and resolve many of the issues. K.I.S.S...Keep It Simple Stupid for starters. Get the basics right and everything else will suitably fall into place!

The first question I'd pose, is what's the point of school? Do you know? Does anyone know? I believe the objective today is debatable and no one actually has the answer...especially Mr Gove!
[quote][p][bold]rocket1[/bold] wrote: obviously you think you have all the answers,why don't you stand for election and put your expertise to good use?.[/p][/quote]Moi? Alas, I don't have 'all' the answers, but I believe my learned friends and I could address and resolve many of the issues. K.I.S.S...Keep It Simple Stupid for starters. Get the basics right and everything else will suitably fall into place! The first question I'd pose, is what's the point of school? Do you know? Does anyone know? I believe the objective today is debatable and no one actually has the answer...especially Mr Gove! E.C.M.
  • Score: 0

2:13pm Tue 18 Feb 14

Marcus P says...

rocket1 wrote:
so what school did you decide to send your children too after they got turned down by chafford campus?.
Chafford Harris in crisis!

The old ones are the best eh?
[quote][p][bold]rocket1[/bold] wrote: so what school did you decide to send your children too after they got turned down by chafford campus?.[/p][/quote]Chafford Harris in crisis! The old ones are the best eh? Marcus P
  • Score: 0

5:21pm Tue 18 Feb 14

rocket1 says...

Marcus P wrote:
rocket1 wrote:
so what school did you decide to send your children too after they got turned down by chafford campus?.
Chafford Harris in crisis!

The old ones are the best eh?
every other school in thurrock would like to be in the same crisis as harris chafford,they could fill their classes three times over,parents are voting with their feet.
[quote][p][bold]Marcus P[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rocket1[/bold] wrote: so what school did you decide to send your children too after they got turned down by chafford campus?.[/p][/quote]Chafford Harris in crisis! The old ones are the best eh?[/p][/quote]every other school in thurrock would like to be in the same crisis as harris chafford,they could fill their classes three times over,parents are voting with their feet. rocket1
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree