Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TGNEWS to 80360 or you can email us Click here for details »
Two cats die in South Ockendon after drinking anti-freeze
TWO cats died within a fortnight of each other after both drank poisonous anti-freeze.
A tabby cat recently arrived home after spending the night out. It appeared lethargic, was experiencing fits and was struggling to stand.
The cat was rushed to the vet, but sadly died.
Two weeks later, the same owner's black and white cat suffered similarly.
It is not known how either feline ingested the antifreeze, a liquid normally used in vehicles' water systems to prevent it freezing, but cats like its taste.
It could have been an act of cruelty or a sad accident.
The RSPCA are warning anyone who uses the liquid to make sure they dispose of it responsibly and clear up any spillages.
Cat owners are also urged to be vigilant.
RSPCA Inspector Adam Jones said: “It is very sad this owner lost both her cats within the space of a couple of weeks.
“At this stage we do not know if this is an accidental incident or deliberate but in the meantime we would ask for everyone in the area to check where they keep their anti-freeze and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats.
“Whatever the circumstances we want to warn all cat owners of the dangers of antifreeze poisoning.
“Unfortunately the taste of antifreeze is very attractive to cats and ingesting just the smallest amount can lead to kidney failure and death.”
The RSPCA are appealing to anyone who has information to contact them on 0300 1234 999.
Poisoning a cat deliberately is a criminal offence. Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, the maximum penalty for those found guilty of this offence is up to six months imprisonment and or a fine of up to £20,000.
Signs of antifreeze poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after a cat has ingested the chemical, though it can be two or three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.
The signs of antifreeze poisoning can include one, or several of the following:
*Seeming depressed or sleepy
*Appearing drunk and uncoordinated
If you suspect your cat has been poisoned you must take it to a vet immediately. If possible, you should take a sample of what the cat has eaten/drunk, or the container.
Comments are closed on this article.