Thurrock in the bottom three for primary schools in England... again!

Thurrock Gazette: Thurrock in the bottom three for primary schools in England... again! Thurrock in the bottom three for primary schools in England... again!

THURROCK is once again in the bottom three for the percentage of its pupils attending good or outstanding primary schools, Ofsted’s annual report has revealed.

For the second year running, Thurrock is third from bottom in the national rankings, with just 59 per cent of pupils under the age of 11 at schools deemed good enough by the government’s education watchdog.

While this represents an increase of 10 percentage points on last year – when just 49 per cent of the borough’s pupils under 11 were in good or better schools – that improvement is not enough to lift the authority out of the bottom three.

Councillor John Kent, portfolio holder for education, said the report held no surprises for the council but acknowledged the authority's low standing in the primary league table.

He said: “Yes we remain low in the league table and that’s disappointing, but the chief inspector acknowledges we are improving quickly; we are on the right road and heading in the right direction.

“We might like to be able to wave the magic wand and turn things around, but we need to ensure the proper foundations are in place so that when our primaries are up there with our secondaries, they will all stay there.”

Last year’s bottom two authorities - Coventry and Derby - saw an increase in the percentage of pupils at good or outstanding primary schools by 22 per cent and 26 per cent respectively – more than double the rate of improvement in Thurrock.

There were 23 local authorities out of 150 last year with less than 60 per cent of primary pupils in good or better schools.

This year, there are just three and only Medway and Wolverhampton have more children in schools that are not good enough. Thurrock also sits bottom of the Eastern region rankings.

Since November 2012, 12 out of the 16 primary schools fully inspected by Ofsted in Thurrock were found to be inadequate or require improvement.

In response to last year’s report, Thurrock Council called on former Ofsted chief Christine Gilbert to probe education in Thurrock. In her report – published in October - she highlighted a lack of trust between the council and headteachers - and said the borough lacked a strategy.

Mr Kent said though that he believed the authority should be celebrating results which saw Thurrock top the region for the percentage of pupils in good or outstanding secondary schools - a total of 92 per cent.

“This is worthy of celebration and something we should be celebrating. I’ve been meeting many of our secondary heads and visiting their schools over recent months and this success is something they’ve all worked very hard for.”

Comments (30)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:34pm Wed 11 Dec 13

ChadwellBoy says...

Another example of the pitiful state of the LEA in Thurrock. The fact that it appears to have lost all credibility with the Head teachers is another nail in the coffin for a joined up coherent strategy for Thurrock primary schools.

The problem Mr Kent is not demonstrating you can improve quickly as we should all be able to that from such a low point, but that you can SUSTAIN it over the long term. Something Thurrock has singley been unable to do.
Another example of the pitiful state of the LEA in Thurrock. The fact that it appears to have lost all credibility with the Head teachers is another nail in the coffin for a joined up coherent strategy for Thurrock primary schools. The problem Mr Kent is not demonstrating you can improve quickly as we should all be able to that from such a low point, but that you can SUSTAIN it over the long term. Something Thurrock has singley been unable to do. ChadwellBoy
  • Score: 5

9:36pm Wed 11 Dec 13

E.C.M. says...

Sorry, but you can't polish a turd!
Sorry, but you can't polish a turd! E.C.M.
  • Score: 0

8:30am Thu 12 Dec 13

Indred Cold says...

This is all down to tthe Local Authority
Like its leaders (Mr Kent) it needs kicking out and starting again
The schools in Thurrock are not helped by the influx of immigrants how are our Teachers/Assistants meant to teach when they are not fluent in Swahli
Urdu or any eastern european language.
Also offsted is run by a bunch of failed teachers so there is a bit of an angenda there as well.
Lets axe TBC and tell offsted to f**k off
This is all down to tthe Local Authority Like its leaders (Mr Kent) it needs kicking out and starting again The schools in Thurrock are not helped by the influx of immigrants how are our Teachers/Assistants meant to teach when they are not fluent in Swahli Urdu or any eastern european language. Also offsted is run by a bunch of failed teachers so there is a bit of an angenda there as well. Lets axe TBC and tell offsted to f**k off Indred Cold
  • Score: 7

8:48am Thu 12 Dec 13

Bernard 87 says...

Labour authorities have always been notoriously bad at running and improving schools so Thurrock fits in with the stereotype.

If our primary schools are slipping behind the rest of the country than surely Essex County Council should be able to step in and help raise standards?
Labour authorities have always been notoriously bad at running and improving schools so Thurrock fits in with the stereotype. If our primary schools are slipping behind the rest of the country than surely Essex County Council should be able to step in and help raise standards? Bernard 87
  • Score: 4

9:12am Thu 12 Dec 13

E.C.M. says...

Indred Cold, deary, deary me...you know five eighths of nothing! If you really want to raise standards in schools, the first thing you 'do' need is an "influx of immigrants"! Tower Hamlets schools for example, are thriving because of 'White Flight' and Asian children (and their supportive parents who truly value education) are replacing traditional British working class pupils in the classroom! White working class boys in particular, are the lowest achieving cohort of students in the country...fact!

If you don't learn...you won't earn! Unfortunately, the penny hasn't dropped for the Chavs of Thurrock!
Indred Cold, deary, deary me...you know five eighths of nothing! If you really want to raise standards in schools, the first thing you 'do' need is an "influx of immigrants"! Tower Hamlets schools for example, are thriving because of 'White Flight' and Asian children (and their supportive parents who truly value education) are replacing traditional British working class pupils in the classroom! White working class boys in particular, are the lowest achieving cohort of students in the country...fact! If you don't learn...you won't earn! Unfortunately, the penny hasn't dropped for the Chavs of Thurrock! E.C.M.
  • Score: -4

10:38am Thu 12 Dec 13

Indred Cold says...

E.C.M. wrote:
Indred Cold, deary, deary me...you know five eighths of nothing! If you really want to raise standards in schools, the first thing you 'do' need is an "influx of immigrants"! Tower Hamlets schools for example, are thriving because of 'White Flight' and Asian children (and their supportive parents who truly value education) are replacing traditional British working class pupils in the classroom! White working class boys in particular, are the lowest achieving cohort of students in the country...fact! If you don't learn...you won't earn! Unfortunately, the penny hasn't dropped for the Chavs of Thurrock!
You seem to have missed my point entirley if the staff dont speak the language of the immigrants how will they learn!

Your racist blinkered attack is pointless
[quote][p][bold]E.C.M.[/bold] wrote: Indred Cold, deary, deary me...you know five eighths of nothing! If you really want to raise standards in schools, the first thing you 'do' need is an "influx of immigrants"! Tower Hamlets schools for example, are thriving because of 'White Flight' and Asian children (and their supportive parents who truly value education) are replacing traditional British working class pupils in the classroom! White working class boys in particular, are the lowest achieving cohort of students in the country...fact! If you don't learn...you won't earn! Unfortunately, the penny hasn't dropped for the Chavs of Thurrock![/p][/quote]You seem to have missed my point entirley if the staff dont speak the language of the immigrants how will they learn! Your racist blinkered attack is pointless Indred Cold
  • Score: 4

11:11am Thu 12 Dec 13

E.C.M. says...

Indred cold, Racist?! How can my comments be racist...compared to yours! Children learn...that's why they go to school and they learn English there! Perhaps you need to return to school "entirley"...and learn to spell! I rest my case M'Lord...no further questions!
Indred cold, Racist?! How can my comments be racist...compared to yours! Children learn...that's why they go to school and they learn English there! Perhaps you need to return to school "entirley"...and learn to spell! I rest my case M'Lord...no further questions! E.C.M.
  • Score: -5

12:39pm Thu 12 Dec 13

d_2da_ougle says...

im-afraid--tend-to-a
gree-with-inbreed-ou
r-teachers-have-to-t
each-so-many-blacks-
polish-and-eastern-e
uropeans-that-have-c
ome-over-in-such-a-s
hrt-time-span-what-c
hance-to-they-stand
im-afraid--tend-to-a gree-with-inbreed-ou r-teachers-have-to-t each-so-many-blacks- polish-and-eastern-e uropeans-that-have-c ome-over-in-such-a-s hrt-time-span-what-c hance-to-they-stand d_2da_ougle
  • Score: -2

1:52pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Rob-C100 says...

My granddaughter goes to Warren Primary and I am impressed with her progress so far. I am somewhat wary of League tables but at least they give individual schools something to aim for academically. What is also important is the encouragement and help from a child's family - being brought up in a home where the ultimate aim is to leave school as soon as possible to claim benefits does more harm to a child than a slightly substandard set of school results.
My granddaughter goes to Warren Primary and I am impressed with her progress so far. I am somewhat wary of League tables but at least they give individual schools something to aim for academically. What is also important is the encouragement and help from a child's family - being brought up in a home where the ultimate aim is to leave school as soon as possible to claim benefits does more harm to a child than a slightly substandard set of school results. Rob-C100
  • Score: 5

5:06pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Indred Cold says...

E.C.M. wrote:
Indred cold, Racist?! How can my comments be racist...compared to yours! Children learn...that's why they go to school and they learn English there! Perhaps you need to return to school "entirley"...an
d learn to spell! I rest my case M'Lord...no further questions!
Dont be a **** all the time take a day off
[quote][p][bold]E.C.M.[/bold] wrote: Indred cold, Racist?! How can my comments be racist...compared to yours! Children learn...that's why they go to school and they learn English there! Perhaps you need to return to school "entirley"...an d learn to spell! I rest my case M'Lord...no further questions![/p][/quote]Dont be a **** all the time take a day off Indred Cold
  • Score: 0

9:43pm Thu 12 Dec 13

E.C.M. says...

Indred Cold,

Just a hunch, but you're not an Oxbridge graduate are you, potty mouth!
Indred Cold, Just a hunch, but you're not an Oxbridge graduate are you, potty mouth! E.C.M.
  • Score: 0

4:06pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Marcus P says...

Strange, because many of the Thurrock Secondary schools score well above the national average in terms of 5 GCSE inc English and Maths.

Why do the primary schools score so low?
Strange, because many of the Thurrock Secondary schools score well above the national average in terms of 5 GCSE inc English and Maths. Why do the primary schools score so low? Marcus P
  • Score: 0

4:13pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Marcus P says...

E.C.M. wrote:
Indred Cold, deary, deary me...you know five eighths of nothing! If you really want to raise standards in schools, the first thing you 'do' need is an "influx of immigrants"! Tower Hamlets schools for example, are thriving because of 'White Flight' and Asian children (and their supportive parents who truly value education) are replacing traditional British working class pupils in the classroom! White working class boys in particular, are the lowest achieving cohort of students in the country...fact!

If you don't learn...you won't earn! Unfortunately, the penny hasn't dropped for the Chavs of Thurrock!
Typical anti white racist nonsense! Which groups of boys are most likely to be excluded from school and be involved in gang related violence? These groups are forming the bulk of Thurrocks new arrivals.

They have arrived on masse from the sh*thole parts of London over the past ten years.

Given the extent of white fight in Thurrock I am suprised there are any White English children left.
[quote][p][bold]E.C.M.[/bold] wrote: Indred Cold, deary, deary me...you know five eighths of nothing! If you really want to raise standards in schools, the first thing you 'do' need is an "influx of immigrants"! Tower Hamlets schools for example, are thriving because of 'White Flight' and Asian children (and their supportive parents who truly value education) are replacing traditional British working class pupils in the classroom! White working class boys in particular, are the lowest achieving cohort of students in the country...fact! If you don't learn...you won't earn! Unfortunately, the penny hasn't dropped for the Chavs of Thurrock![/p][/quote]Typical anti white racist nonsense! Which groups of boys are most likely to be excluded from school and be involved in gang related violence? These groups are forming the bulk of Thurrocks new arrivals. They have arrived on masse from the sh*thole parts of London over the past ten years. Given the extent of white fight in Thurrock I am suprised there are any White English children left. Marcus P
  • Score: 2

4:15pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Marcus P says...

Indred Cold wrote:
This is all down to tthe Local Authority
Like its leaders (Mr Kent) it needs kicking out and starting again
The schools in Thurrock are not helped by the influx of immigrants how are our Teachers/Assistants meant to teach when they are not fluent in Swahli
Urdu or any eastern european language.
Also offsted is run by a bunch of failed teachers so there is a bit of an angenda there as well.
Lets axe TBC and tell offsted to f**k off
Just wait until the Roma Gypsies arrive after Jan 2014. You ain't seen nothing yet!
[quote][p][bold]Indred Cold[/bold] wrote: This is all down to tthe Local Authority Like its leaders (Mr Kent) it needs kicking out and starting again The schools in Thurrock are not helped by the influx of immigrants how are our Teachers/Assistants meant to teach when they are not fluent in Swahli Urdu or any eastern european language. Also offsted is run by a bunch of failed teachers so there is a bit of an angenda there as well. Lets axe TBC and tell offsted to f**k off[/p][/quote]Just wait until the Roma Gypsies arrive after Jan 2014. You ain't seen nothing yet! Marcus P
  • Score: 2

5:42pm Fri 13 Dec 13

E.C.M. says...

Marcus P wrote:
Strange, because many of the Thurrock Secondary schools score well above the national average in terms of 5 GCSE inc English and Maths.

Why do the primary schools score so low?
Thurrock's Secondary Schools received oustanding support from the National Strategies Team from 2008. Experts in their respective fields! What a pity the funding stopped...the five consultants, led by an inspirational Line Manager, collectively could have equally raised standards in Primary education!
[quote][p][bold]Marcus P[/bold] wrote: Strange, because many of the Thurrock Secondary schools score well above the national average in terms of 5 GCSE inc English and Maths. Why do the primary schools score so low?[/p][/quote]Thurrock's Secondary Schools received oustanding support from the National Strategies Team from 2008. Experts in their respective fields! What a pity the funding stopped...the five consultants, led by an inspirational Line Manager, collectively could have equally raised standards in Primary education! E.C.M.
  • Score: 0

5:57pm Fri 13 Dec 13

E.C.M. says...

Marcus P wrote:
E.C.M. wrote:
Indred Cold, deary, deary me...you know five eighths of nothing! If you really want to raise standards in schools, the first thing you 'do' need is an "influx of immigrants"! Tower Hamlets schools for example, are thriving because of 'White Flight' and Asian children (and their supportive parents who truly value education) are replacing traditional British working class pupils in the classroom! White working class boys in particular, are the lowest achieving cohort of students in the country...fact!

If you don't learn...you won't earn! Unfortunately, the penny hasn't dropped for the Chavs of Thurrock!
Typical anti white racist nonsense! Which groups of boys are most likely to be excluded from school and be involved in gang related violence? These groups are forming the bulk of Thurrocks new arrivals.

They have arrived on masse from the sh*thole parts of London over the past ten years.

Given the extent of white fight in Thurrock I am suprised there are any White English children left.
Marcus P, you ask "which groups of boys are most likely to be excluded from school?"...inferring immigrants. If this is the case, White Working Class students should be unapposed in schools to learn! Visit the Secondary PRU at the Culver Centre, you won't see a black face there!

Certainly, Ormiston Park Academy for one, welcomes eastern european pupils. Their GCSE results would be even worse, if they weren't buoyed by 'thirst for knowledge' Polish and Lithuainian students!
[quote][p][bold]Marcus P[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]E.C.M.[/bold] wrote: Indred Cold, deary, deary me...you know five eighths of nothing! If you really want to raise standards in schools, the first thing you 'do' need is an "influx of immigrants"! Tower Hamlets schools for example, are thriving because of 'White Flight' and Asian children (and their supportive parents who truly value education) are replacing traditional British working class pupils in the classroom! White working class boys in particular, are the lowest achieving cohort of students in the country...fact! If you don't learn...you won't earn! Unfortunately, the penny hasn't dropped for the Chavs of Thurrock![/p][/quote]Typical anti white racist nonsense! Which groups of boys are most likely to be excluded from school and be involved in gang related violence? These groups are forming the bulk of Thurrocks new arrivals. They have arrived on masse from the sh*thole parts of London over the past ten years. Given the extent of white fight in Thurrock I am suprised there are any White English children left.[/p][/quote]Marcus P, you ask "which groups of boys are most likely to be excluded from school?"...inferring immigrants. If this is the case, White Working Class students should be unapposed in schools to learn! Visit the Secondary PRU at the Culver Centre, you won't see a black face there! Certainly, Ormiston Park Academy for one, welcomes eastern european pupils. Their GCSE results would be even worse, if they weren't buoyed by 'thirst for knowledge' Polish and Lithuainian students! E.C.M.
  • Score: -2

4:03pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Marcus P says...

Was Thurrock LEA in the bottom three 10/15 years ago when the percentage of BEMs was a fraction of what if is now?

If yes, then it can be concluded that the mass influx of migrants from East London and beyond has not raised standards in Thurrock schools. .

If no, then it could be argued attainment is suffering as a result of the influx.
Was Thurrock LEA in the bottom three 10/15 years ago when the percentage of BEMs was a fraction of what if is now? If yes, then it can be concluded that the mass influx of migrants from East London and beyond has not raised standards in Thurrock schools. . If no, then it could be argued attainment is suffering as a result of the influx. Marcus P
  • Score: 2

4:26pm Sat 14 Dec 13

E.C.M. says...

Marcus P wrote:
Was Thurrock LEA in the bottom three 10/15 years ago when the percentage of BEMs was a fraction of what if is now? If yes, then it can be concluded that the mass influx of migrants from East London and beyond has not raised standards in Thurrock schools. . If no, then it could be argued attainment is suffering as a result of the influx.
Eastern Philosophy v Western philosophy

If I work hard I can achieve qualifications v He’s just like me and his dad…he’ll never be good at Maths!

Enough said!
[quote][p][bold]Marcus P[/bold] wrote: Was Thurrock LEA in the bottom three 10/15 years ago when the percentage of BEMs was a fraction of what if is now? If yes, then it can be concluded that the mass influx of migrants from East London and beyond has not raised standards in Thurrock schools. . If no, then it could be argued attainment is suffering as a result of the influx.[/p][/quote]Eastern Philosophy v Western philosophy If I work hard I can achieve qualifications v He’s just like me and his dad…he’ll never be good at Maths! Enough said! E.C.M.
  • Score: 0

2:29pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Marcus P says...

E.C.M. wrote:
Marcus P wrote:
Was Thurrock LEA in the bottom three 10/15 years ago when the percentage of BEMs was a fraction of what if is now? If yes, then it can be concluded that the mass influx of migrants from East London and beyond has not raised standards in Thurrock schools. . If no, then it could be argued attainment is suffering as a result of the influx.
Eastern Philosophy v Western philosophy

If I work hard I can achieve qualifications v He’s just like me and his dad…he’ll never be good at Maths!

Enough said!
Oh you do love your racial stereotyping... Immigrant good ...White English bad.

If this was true, Thurrock should be soaring up the league tables given the huge numbers of non English children in local schools.
[quote][p][bold]E.C.M.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Marcus P[/bold] wrote: Was Thurrock LEA in the bottom three 10/15 years ago when the percentage of BEMs was a fraction of what if is now? If yes, then it can be concluded that the mass influx of migrants from East London and beyond has not raised standards in Thurrock schools. . If no, then it could be argued attainment is suffering as a result of the influx.[/p][/quote]Eastern Philosophy v Western philosophy If I work hard I can achieve qualifications v He’s just like me and his dad…he’ll never be good at Maths! Enough said![/p][/quote]Oh you do love your racial stereotyping... Immigrant good ...White English bad. If this was true, Thurrock should be soaring up the league tables given the huge numbers of non English children in local schools. Marcus P
  • Score: 0

3:20pm Mon 16 Dec 13

E.C.M. says...

Marcus P, me old mucker, Thurrock has a tiny proportion of B.E.M students...do the maths!

Nearby, Redbridge has a huge population of Asian pupils...hence their fantastic GCSE results!

The lovely leafy village schools of Corringham Primary (Ofsted Special Measures) and Horndon Primary (Ofsted Requiring Improvement) have appalling SATs results, see the latest press release on 'Your Thurrock'...and hardly if any, a black pupil there!
Marcus P, me old mucker, Thurrock has a tiny proportion of B.E.M students...do the maths! Nearby, Redbridge has a huge population of Asian pupils...hence their fantastic GCSE results! The lovely leafy village schools of Corringham Primary (Ofsted Special Measures) and Horndon Primary (Ofsted Requiring Improvement) have appalling SATs results, see the latest press release on 'Your Thurrock'...and hardly if any, a black pupil there! E.C.M.
  • Score: 1

10:25pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Marcus P says...

E.C.M. wrote:
Marcus P, me old mucker, Thurrock has a tiny proportion of B.E.M students...do the maths! Nearby, Redbridge has a huge population of Asian pupils...hence their fantastic GCSE results! The lovely leafy village schools of Corringham Primary (Ofsted Special Measures) and Horndon Primary (Ofsted Requiring Improvement) have appalling SATs results, see the latest press release on 'Your Thurrock'...and hardly if any, a black pupil there!
Tiny percentage of BEM students!!!....E.C.M There are at least two primary, and one secondary schools in Thurrock in which white English pupils are classed as an ethic minority. If you think Thurrock has a tiny percentage of B.E.M students I suggest you need to take the blinkers off. Do you live in Thurrock?

I agree many B.E.M groups have excellent attitudes to education BUT! many do not. There is a huge difference in attainment amongst ethnic minorities in terms of CATs SAT and GCSE grades. They really are not some homogenous group.

You make very simplistic generalisations and fail to grasp the complexities of the issue. The question is, has the huge influx of migrant children added to Thurrock’s KS2 attainment? At best it remains unchanged.

Btw Horndon has a tiny SAT entry and even takes in children outside the village.
[quote][p][bold]E.C.M.[/bold] wrote: Marcus P, me old mucker, Thurrock has a tiny proportion of B.E.M students...do the maths! Nearby, Redbridge has a huge population of Asian pupils...hence their fantastic GCSE results! The lovely leafy village schools of Corringham Primary (Ofsted Special Measures) and Horndon Primary (Ofsted Requiring Improvement) have appalling SATs results, see the latest press release on 'Your Thurrock'...and hardly if any, a black pupil there![/p][/quote]Tiny percentage of BEM students!!!....E.C.M There are at least two primary, and one secondary schools in Thurrock in which white English pupils are classed as an ethic minority. If you think Thurrock has a tiny percentage of B.E.M students I suggest you need to take the blinkers off. Do you live in Thurrock? I agree many B.E.M groups have excellent attitudes to education BUT! many do not. There is a huge difference in attainment amongst ethnic minorities in terms of CATs SAT and GCSE grades. They really are not some homogenous group. You make very simplistic generalisations and fail to grasp the complexities of the issue. The question is, has the huge influx of migrant children added to Thurrock’s KS2 attainment? At best it remains unchanged. Btw Horndon has a tiny SAT entry and even takes in children outside the village. Marcus P
  • Score: 0

10:57pm Mon 16 Dec 13

E.C.M. says...

Marcus P, it's good to 'talk'!

Live in Thurrock? Sod that...I wouldn't want my children to be an ethnic minority!

Social class is a much more accurate predictor of academic success than either race or gender!

Hence, the poor KS2 attainment of the schools in the ghettos of Tilbury, Grays and Purfleet!
Marcus P, it's good to 'talk'! Live in Thurrock? Sod that...I wouldn't want my children to be an ethnic minority! Social class is a much more accurate predictor of academic success than either race or gender! Hence, the poor KS2 attainment of the schools in the ghettos of Tilbury, Grays and Purfleet! E.C.M.
  • Score: 0

12:10pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Marcus P says...

E.C.M. wrote:
Marcus P, it's good to 'talk'!

Live in Thurrock? Sod that...I wouldn't want my children to be an ethnic minority!

Social class is a much more accurate predictor of academic success than either race or gender!

Hence, the poor KS2 attainment of the schools in the ghettos of Tilbury, Grays and Purfleet!
I agree with you social class being the key predictor of educational success. Even good Michael Wilshaw ( Head of Ofsted) has been criticising Grammar schools for being full of middle class children...surprise surprise.

The problem is that most of Thurrock’s BEM populace is working class. Check out the post codes e.g. West Thurrock, middle of Grays, Tilbury of where these people live. I have numerous teacher friends who tell me that whilst most of these children don’t have behaviour issues, they are however, over represented in the lower sets.

I repeat the question, is huge increase in the intake of BEM children raising standards in Thurrock? The evidence from the ‘good school’ indicator would suggest no.
[quote][p][bold]E.C.M.[/bold] wrote: Marcus P, it's good to 'talk'! Live in Thurrock? Sod that...I wouldn't want my children to be an ethnic minority! Social class is a much more accurate predictor of academic success than either race or gender! Hence, the poor KS2 attainment of the schools in the ghettos of Tilbury, Grays and Purfleet![/p][/quote]I agree with you social class being the key predictor of educational success. Even good Michael Wilshaw ( Head of Ofsted) has been criticising Grammar schools for being full of middle class children...surprise surprise. The problem is that most of Thurrock’s BEM populace is working class. Check out the post codes e.g. West Thurrock, middle of Grays, Tilbury of where these people live. I have numerous teacher friends who tell me that whilst most of these children don’t have behaviour issues, they are however, over represented in the lower sets. I repeat the question, is huge increase in the intake of BEM children raising standards in Thurrock? The evidence from the ‘good school’ indicator would suggest no. Marcus P
  • Score: 0

12:55pm Tue 17 Dec 13

E.C.M. says...

In reponse to your emotive question, I don't believe you can generalise.

The biggest driver in raising school standards is engagement with the home. Students irrespective of their race, creed or colour need parents/careres who support their child's education!

I know William Edwards School recently identified underachieving pupils in Year 11...none of their parents apparently had ever attended a Parents Evening! Doesn't that fact just say it all?!
In reponse to your emotive question, I don't believe you can generalise. The biggest driver in raising school standards is engagement with the home. Students irrespective of their race, creed or colour need parents/careres who support their child's education! I know William Edwards School recently identified underachieving pupils in Year 11...none of their parents apparently had ever attended a Parents Evening! Doesn't that fact just say it all?! E.C.M.
  • Score: 0

1:30pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Marcus P says...

E.C.M. wrote:
In reponse to your emotive question, I don't believe you can generalise.

The biggest driver in raising school standards is engagement with the home. Students irrespective of their race, creed or colour need parents/careres who support their child's education!

I know William Edwards School recently identified underachieving pupils in Year 11...none of their parents apparently had ever attended a Parents Evening! Doesn't that fact just say it all?!
I assume you agree that also means white working class parents?
For the record W.Eds has improved significantly over the past few years in terms of GCSE results and reputation but has a largely W.ENG intake.
[quote][p][bold]E.C.M.[/bold] wrote: In reponse to your emotive question, I don't believe you can generalise. The biggest driver in raising school standards is engagement with the home. Students irrespective of their race, creed or colour need parents/careres who support their child's education! I know William Edwards School recently identified underachieving pupils in Year 11...none of their parents apparently had ever attended a Parents Evening! Doesn't that fact just say it all?![/p][/quote]I assume you agree that also means white working class parents? For the record W.Eds has improved significantly over the past few years in terms of GCSE results and reputation but has a largely W.ENG intake. Marcus P
  • Score: 0

10:05am Wed 18 Dec 13

E.C.M. says...

Marcus P, please pay attention...I did write "irrespective of their race, creed or colour"!

"largely W.ENG intake"...of course they do, Willy Eds is a Thurrock School...in England!

How many of their White Working Class Boys are entered for GCSEs though..if there is a chance of them failing to pass and thus, not contributing to the 5 A* - C league table position!

Education is just a statistics game today! Or as The Fun Boy Three once sang 'It's all a load of B*****ks...and B*****ks to it all!

PS. Interesting to see St. Mary's Primary School top the KS2 Test results in Thurrock...with 100%! Achieved in Tilbury, God forbid, with a huge population of B.E.M children and shock horror Catholics!!! What ever is the world (Thurrock) coming to?!
Marcus P, please pay attention...I did write "irrespective of their race, creed or colour"! "largely W.ENG intake"...of course they do, Willy Eds is a Thurrock School...in England! How many of their White Working Class Boys are entered for GCSEs though..if there is a chance of them failing to pass and thus, not contributing to the 5 A* - C league table position! Education is just a statistics game today! Or as The Fun Boy Three once sang 'It's all a load of B*****ks...and B*****ks to it all! PS. Interesting to see St. Mary's Primary School top the KS2 Test results in Thurrock...with 100%! Achieved in Tilbury, God forbid, with a huge population of B.E.M children and shock horror Catholics!!! What ever is the world (Thurrock) coming to?! E.C.M.
  • Score: 0

10:57am Wed 18 Dec 13

Marcus P says...

It is amusing to see you go round in circles with your argument. You clearly implied that all BEM children were high attainers and white children were to blame for the poor showing of Thurrock LEA.

This is clearly inverse racist !

St Marys may be doing well, but some schools with a huge BEM intake are not. Hence the poor rating against national averages. The key factor is to determine it the ethnicity of the children or their social class is the reason. Until we know for sure you need to stop making simplistic statements.
It is amusing to see you go round in circles with your argument. You clearly implied that all BEM children were high attainers and white children were to blame for the poor showing of Thurrock LEA. This is clearly inverse racist ! St Marys may be doing well, but some schools with a huge BEM intake are not. Hence the poor rating against national averages. The key factor is to determine it the ethnicity of the children or their social class is the reason. Until we know for sure you need to stop making simplistic statements. Marcus P
  • Score: 0

11:41am Wed 18 Dec 13

E.C.M. says...

"Simplistic statement"...K.I.S.S
...Keep It Simple Stupid!

Education is simple...reiterate the basics and standards will improve!

Come to school every day, focussed, fully equiped and with a work ethic...simples!

I have never 'implied' anything! I am not accountable for your interpretation or perception of my words!

"All BEM children"? Such a generalisation would be fool hardy!

White Working Class Boys 'are' underachieving as a cohort from an academic perspective (obviously there will be exceptions to the rule...me for example, I've done good!)...fact! All schools and relevant research will confirm this reality!

Didn't Bo Jo (Boris Johnson - Mayor of London) recently state that White Working Class need to follow immigrants example and demonstrate a work ethic! Johnny foreigner is willing to take low paid employment, knowing it may be a stepping stone! Sadly, many, many (not all) Brits will not!
"Simplistic statement"...K.I.S.S ...Keep It Simple Stupid! Education is simple...reiterate the basics and standards will improve! Come to school every day, focussed, fully equiped and with a work ethic...simples! I have never 'implied' anything! I am not accountable for your interpretation or perception of my words! "All BEM children"? Such a generalisation would be fool hardy! White Working Class Boys 'are' underachieving as a cohort from an academic perspective (obviously there will be exceptions to the rule...me for example, I've done good!)...fact! All schools and relevant research will confirm this reality! Didn't Bo Jo (Boris Johnson - Mayor of London) recently state that White Working Class need to follow immigrants example and demonstrate a work ethic! Johnny foreigner is willing to take low paid employment, knowing it may be a stepping stone! Sadly, many, many (not all) Brits will not! E.C.M.
  • Score: 0

9:56pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Marcus P says...

Oh dear more myths pedalled by the pro mass immigration crew. Boris Johnson wanted amnesty for all illegals in London. Migrant watch calculated this would cost a million pounds per family once the welfare package for dependents was factored in.

The O.N.S. Unemployment stats by ethnicity show the immigrants work hard er than WENGs to be a liberal elite myth.

Btw I see another article in this website shows that secondary schools in Thurrock are in the top 20% nationally. Does this mean that the intake at primary is of a lower quality academically. If so what are the demographic reasons for this.
Oh dear more myths pedalled by the pro mass immigration crew. Boris Johnson wanted amnesty for all illegals in London. Migrant watch calculated this would cost a million pounds per family once the welfare package for dependents was factored in. The O.N.S. Unemployment stats by ethnicity show the immigrants work hard er than WENGs to be a liberal elite myth. Btw I see another article in this website shows that secondary schools in Thurrock are in the top 20% nationally. Does this mean that the intake at primary is of a lower quality academically. If so what are the demographic reasons for this. Marcus P
  • Score: 0

11:50pm Wed 18 Dec 13

E.C.M. says...

Marcus P wrote:
Oh dear more myths pedalled by the pro mass immigration crew. Boris Johnson wanted amnesty for all illegals in London. Migrant watch calculated this would cost a million pounds per family once the welfare package for dependents was factored in. The O.N.S. Unemployment stats by ethnicity show the immigrants work hard er than WENGs to be a liberal elite myth. Btw I see another article in this website shows that secondary schools in Thurrock are in the top 20% nationally. Does this mean that the intake at primary is of a lower quality academically. If so what are the demographic reasons for this.
Marcus P, I know you won't have it, but surly you just can't disagree with this:

The recent Pisa international tests revealed that UK schools have dropped out of the top twenty in the world for the first time! The highest ranked countries were 1. Shanghai 2. Hong Kong 3. Singapore 4. Japan 5. South Korea!

Can you see where I'm going here? Please revert back to my East v West analogy!

Having worked in Education for more than 20 years, I can honestly say I have never met a student of Chinese or similar descent, who hasn't been a model pupil! However, I have certainly crossed paths with one or two (hundred) White Working Class Boys...and Girls who do not possess a work ethic, are deficent in social skills and become a burden on society...who some people would call White Trash or Chavs!

Now back to my marking at five minutes to midnight!
[quote][p][bold]Marcus P[/bold] wrote: Oh dear more myths pedalled by the pro mass immigration crew. Boris Johnson wanted amnesty for all illegals in London. Migrant watch calculated this would cost a million pounds per family once the welfare package for dependents was factored in. The O.N.S. Unemployment stats by ethnicity show the immigrants work hard er than WENGs to be a liberal elite myth. Btw I see another article in this website shows that secondary schools in Thurrock are in the top 20% nationally. Does this mean that the intake at primary is of a lower quality academically. If so what are the demographic reasons for this.[/p][/quote]Marcus P, I know you won't have it, but surly you just can't disagree with this: The recent Pisa international tests revealed that UK schools have dropped out of the top twenty in the world for the first time! The highest ranked countries were 1. Shanghai 2. Hong Kong 3. Singapore 4. Japan 5. South Korea! Can you see where I'm going here? Please revert back to my East v West analogy! Having worked in Education for more than 20 years, I can honestly say I have never met a student of Chinese or similar descent, who hasn't been a model pupil! However, I have certainly crossed paths with one or two (hundred) White Working Class Boys...and Girls who do not possess a work ethic, are deficent in social skills and become a burden on society...who some people would call White Trash or Chavs! Now back to my marking at five minutes to midnight! E.C.M.
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree