Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TGNEWS to 80360 or you can email us Click here for details »
Romantic night in Purfleet sets hotel room alight
MORE than 200 hotel guests had to be evactuated after a young couple's romantic Valentines evening turned fiery.
The loved-up pair had booked into a Premier Inn hotel on Stonehouse Lane, Purfleet. They scattered rose petals and lit 15 candles, but one of those set fire to a pillow.
Crews attended the blaze, which was in a second floor room of the hotel, at around 2.25am this morning.
Firefighters had prepared for the worse, sending four crews, but spent 45 minutes tackling a small fire using breathing apparatus and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke-logged areas.
A woman suffered a minor burn to her arm during the incident.
A head count was conducted as the fire was dealt with, after the hotel's 207 guests had been evacuated.
Assistant Divisional Officer Tony Clarke said: "A young couple had booked the room for a romantic night.
"They had spread rose petals across the room and lit about 15 tea candles to create a romantic mood. Unfortunately one of the candles set the pillow alight and the woman suffered burns to her arms.
"It shows the dangers of candles. They should not be lit in such large numbers and should not be placed close to anything flammable including furniture and curtains.
"The night manager at the hotel did an excellent job evacuating all of the guests and they were all safely out of the building when crews arrived."
A Premier Inn spokesman said: "We can confirm that a fire broke out at Premier Inn Thurrock West.
"Our team members acted swiftly to make sure that the hotel was evacuated immediately and emergency services were called to the scene.
"One guest received a minor burn to her arm which has received treatment.
"The hotel remains open for business as usual."