Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TGNEWS to 80360 or you can email us Click here for details »
Coal fire causes six carbon monoxide poisoning
7:10am Thursday 24th January 2013 in News
SIX people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a coal fire in Tilbury.
The fire service was called to a home in Sandhurst Road at 2.10am on Monday, and used a fan to ventilate it.
The occupants were left with ambulance staff.
A fire service spokesman said: “Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious threat and if people don’t make a special effort to look out for the signs, or equip themselves with an alarm, then it is very easy for it to go undetected until it is too late.
“The symptoms of poisoning are very much like those people suffering with flu or food poisoning would have, so it’s not uncommon for people to stay in their home, where the dangerous leak is, treating themselves for these illnesses and not getting the leak fixed.”