3:00pm Friday 18th January 2013
TWO groomers, who left a dog to burn under an industrial hairdryer, have been fined £1,000 each.
The dog, a Lhasa Apso called Dusty, later died from its injuries.
Jacqueline Ward, 44, of Little Bentley, Basildon, ran a dog grooming business in Towers Road, Grays, when Dusty was taken in to be groomed in July 2012.
Basildon Magistrates’ Court heard how the 12-year-old canine was bathed and clipped and afterwards was place into a metal dog crate with an industrial dog hairdryer pointing at him.
But Victoria Ellis, 38 of Scott Road, Chadwell St Mary, left Dusty in front of the dryer while she wandered off to answer a call.
She returned to find Dusty was suffering with burns to his skin.
Ward told Dusty’s owner the dog had suffered a “small burn” and to put cream on it. But Dusty deteriorated over the next few days and was eventually put down.
Ward and Ellis were found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal. They were both fined £1,000, ordered to do 120 hours of community service and told to pay £250 compensation.
The RSPCA, which brought the prosecution, called for licensing in the dog grooming industry.
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group