Education boss: We're on course

Thurrock Gazette: Cllr Oliver Gerrish Cllr Oliver Gerrish

THE man in charge of education in Thurrock has said the borough’s schools are on the right track – but progress needs to be robust and accelerated.

In December, the state of education in Thurrock came under the spotlight after Ofsted revealed the borough was in the bottom three nationally for its number of good or outstanding primary schools.

The Gazette also revealed spending on staff within the education department had gone up, despite the council being responsible for fewer schools.

Cllr Oliver Gerrish, pictured, who is the cabinet member responsible for education and children and social care at Thurrock Council, said there has been “rapid improvement” over the last two years which needs continuing.

He added, too, that as more schools convert to academy status, the local authority’s role is changing and more than 55 posts have been scrapped in the last two years.

But increases in the budget for staff encompasses Cllr Gerrish’s entire portfolio, which has seen pressure increase on safeguarding children.

Speaking to the Gazette, Cllr Gerrish, who took up the education post two years ago, said: “The future for us is as diplomats rather than managers, it’s far more about partnership working and understanding the priorities of schools and how they want to work.

“Even under the new Government legislation and guidance there’s a very prominent role in terms of statutory duties for the local authority, in terms of for example, ensuring sufficiency of places in the area.”

In the last two years, there has been a sharp increase in the percentage of children achieving level 2B in English and maths, which has seen Thurrock climb above the national average.

There have also been significant increases in the number of pupils achieving level four at Key Stage Two, but the percentage achieving this level in English and maths combined is still three per cent below the national average, despite being up eight per cent in two years, above the national rate of improvement.

Cllr Gerrish said: “We’ve moved on pretty rapidly in a two-year period.

“We’ve gone from being virtually bottom of the bottom quartile performance for Key Stage Two results in the country, while our most recent Key Stage Two results on last year’s national averages would have put us over the medium performance [had there not been a slight improvement nationally].

“Nobody is saying we’re at the end point of getting to where we need to be.

“One thing I want to emphasise is how ambitious we are for getting above the national average for results and then pushing on further.

“Clearly we need to do everything we can to maintain that progress and accelerate it.”

As the role of the local authority changes, schools are set to receive tailored support to drive improvement and meet individual needs.

Cllr Gerrish also disagrees that schools choosing to convert to academy status show mistrust in the local authority.

All but one of the borough’s secondary schools are now academies and more than 20 primary schools have also converted.

He said: “Schools have taken sober decisions over becoming academies. There is not a mistrust in the council.”

Comments (28)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:41am Sat 19 Jan 13

fletch12107 says...

Is there any need for a councillor to head up education as reading his spiel on here it appears that has no role to play (he says he is a diplomat). Rapid improvement off the bottom in two years into the bottom three is nothing to shout about. Thurrock should consider the amount of travellers and Africans it houses in the area as there lack of education will drag every child down to a new low.
Is there any need for a councillor to head up education as reading his spiel on here it appears that has no role to play (he says he is a diplomat). Rapid improvement off the bottom in two years into the bottom three is nothing to shout about. Thurrock should consider the amount of travellers and Africans it houses in the area as there lack of education will drag every child down to a new low. fletch12107

9:15am Sat 19 Jan 13

Dave_ says...

Fletch is quite right the person we should hold responsible for education in Thurrock is Carmel Littleton (according to the council website salary list) not some here today gone tomorrow oik of a politician. It's the people on the council list that should be held ot account and leave the polticians to squabble like kids in a playground.
One would assume Carmel has been a school teacher of note at some point and not a career administrator, so able to understand the problems schools face and offer solutions. But you know what, I doubt she's ever stood in front of children and delivered lessons.
Fletch is quite right the person we should hold responsible for education in Thurrock is Carmel Littleton (according to the council website salary list) not some here today gone tomorrow oik of a politician. It's the people on the council list that should be held ot account and leave the polticians to squabble like kids in a playground. One would assume Carmel has been a school teacher of note at some point and not a career administrator, so able to understand the problems schools face and offer solutions. But you know what, I doubt she's ever stood in front of children and delivered lessons. Dave_

11:34am Sat 19 Jan 13

A Dermot says...

With most schools opting out of local authority control why do we need a councillor in control of education in Thurrock and why do we need a bloated education department?

Of course Cllr Gerrish wants to keep his big fat expenses and allowance payment for being portfolio holder in charge of education in Thurrock.

Another sponging politician with his snout well and truly in the trough.

Interesting while Labour Gerrish and his Labour chums cut Thurrock services left right and centre and sack staff no Thurrock councillor is repared to slash there own expenses and allowances that cost taxpayers over £600,000 a year.

They are nothing more than hypocritical spongers with their snouts in the trough of taxpayers cash.
With most schools opting out of local authority control why do we need a councillor in control of education in Thurrock and why do we need a bloated education department? Of course Cllr Gerrish wants to keep his big fat expenses and allowance payment for being portfolio holder in charge of education in Thurrock. Another sponging politician with his snout well and truly in the trough. Interesting while Labour Gerrish and his Labour chums cut Thurrock services left right and centre and sack staff no Thurrock councillor is repared to slash there own expenses and allowances that cost taxpayers over £600,000 a year. They are nothing more than hypocritical spongers with their snouts in the trough of taxpayers cash. A Dermot

1:54pm Sat 19 Jan 13

E.C.M2012 says...

Errr...what on earth does 'Ollie' know...he looks like he isn't long out of short trousers himself!

No one is 'qualified' to comment on teaching with any credibility, unless they have actually stood in front of a class of 30 children on a regular basis, plan differentiated lessons, next step mark books, assess levels of progress and deal with difficult parents, etc. etc.

Anyone can 'talk the talk'...but to 'walk the walk' is a whole different ball game!

'Fletch' you're so naïve mate! If you want a school to improve, the simplest step is to actively enrol ethnic minority pupils and replace the white working class 'British' children...especiall
y boys!

‘Johnny foreigner’ has a work ethic and is keen to learn! He appreciates the value of education and understands that you reap what you sow!
Errr...what on earth does 'Ollie' know...he looks like he isn't long out of short trousers himself! No one is 'qualified' to comment on teaching with any credibility, unless they have actually stood in front of a class of 30 children on a regular basis, plan differentiated lessons, next step mark books, assess levels of progress and deal with difficult parents, etc. etc. Anyone can 'talk the talk'...but to 'walk the walk' is a whole different ball game! 'Fletch' you're so naïve mate! If you want a school to improve, the simplest step is to actively enrol ethnic minority pupils and replace the white working class 'British' children...especiall y boys! ‘Johnny foreigner’ has a work ethic and is keen to learn! He appreciates the value of education and understands that you reap what you sow! E.C.M2012

7:25pm Sat 19 Jan 13

Dave_ says...

We need to pass full responsibility to salaried officials, who are supposed to be the experts as opposed to having Cllrs who will invariably have no idea.
Councillors should have proper jobs and are there purely to represent the views of those who elect them and hold salaried officials to account.
Salaried officials who are paid in excess of £50K are on fixed term contracts of 3 years, which is renewable against set performance criteria. Don't perform bye-bye.
Cllrs get expenses and up to £2K allowance for admin costs.
Looking at the list on the website I think the council needs to have a greenfield review of the senior management structure.
We need to pass full responsibility to salaried officials, who are supposed to be the experts as opposed to having Cllrs who will invariably have no idea. Councillors should have proper jobs and are there purely to represent the views of those who elect them and hold salaried officials to account. Salaried officials who are paid in excess of £50K are on fixed term contracts of 3 years, which is renewable against set performance criteria. Don't perform bye-bye. Cllrs get expenses and up to £2K allowance for admin costs. Looking at the list on the website I think the council needs to have a greenfield review of the senior management structure. Dave_

6:30am Sun 20 Jan 13

ebagumtrebor says...

E.C.M2012 If what you say is true why are we continually being told that ethnic minorities need greater help in education and employment, have less chances of employment when they leave school and are more likely to end up involved in crime and gangs and drugs. Presumably it's because as a society as a whole we are entirely racist and continue to hold back ethnic minorities because of those racist beliefs. All employers are racist and the police force is of course racist. Is that the reason? The council is never transparent on why it spends money and on what. I note that the Councillor says posts have been cut and not jobs. In other words vacancies have been taken out of the budget which is what would be expected given the number of schools changing to academy status. It's the usual waffle from the council. It's like watching the slow death of another overly bureaucratic, state funded waste of money.
E.C.M2012 If what you say is true why are we continually being told that ethnic minorities need greater help in education and employment, have less chances of employment when they leave school and are more likely to end up involved in crime and gangs and drugs. Presumably it's because as a society as a whole we are entirely racist and continue to hold back ethnic minorities because of those racist beliefs. All employers are racist and the police force is of course racist. Is that the reason? The council is never transparent on why it spends money and on what. I note that the Councillor says posts have been cut and not jobs. In other words vacancies have been taken out of the budget which is what would be expected given the number of schools changing to academy status. It's the usual waffle from the council. It's like watching the slow death of another overly bureaucratic, state funded waste of money. ebagumtrebor

2:21pm Sun 20 Jan 13

E.C.M2012 says...

ebagumtrebor...it's not a matter of what I say, it is fact!

Redbridge have fantastic school's in terms of 'qualifications' because the dominent ethnicity of their pupils are Asian! Hard working students with a thirst for knowledge, who appreciate the value of education!

In Thurrock, the exam factory with nice carpets...or the Harris Academy as it is better known, has a huge cultural mix!

I rest my case m'Lord...no further questions!
ebagumtrebor...it's not a matter of what I say, it is fact! Redbridge have fantastic school's in terms of 'qualifications' because the dominent ethnicity of their pupils are Asian! Hard working students with a thirst for knowledge, who appreciate the value of education! In Thurrock, the exam factory with nice carpets...or the Harris Academy as it is better known, has a huge cultural mix! I rest my case m'Lord...no further questions! E.C.M2012

3:05pm Sun 20 Jan 13

Dave_ says...

I like the term "exam factory" I wonder if we could replace the terms school, academy etc with this, as it a more accurate description. How does it go "never mind the quality, feel the width".
I like the term "exam factory" I wonder if we could replace the terms school, academy etc with this, as it a more accurate description. How does it go "never mind the quality, feel the width". Dave_

4:00pm Sun 20 Jan 13

fletch12107 says...

E.C.M2012 wrote:
Errr...what on earth does 'Ollie' know...he looks like he isn't long out of short trousers himself!

No one is 'qualified' to comment on teaching with any credibility, unless they have actually stood in front of a class of 30 children on a regular basis, plan differentiated lessons, next step mark books, assess levels of progress and deal with difficult parents, etc. etc.

Anyone can 'talk the talk'...but to 'walk the walk' is a whole different ball game!

'Fletch' you're so naïve mate! If you want a school to improve, the simplest step is to actively enrol ethnic minority pupils and replace the white working class 'British' children...especiall

y boys!

‘Johnny foreigner’ has a work ethic and is keen to learn! He appreciates the value of education and understands that you reap what you sow!
I don't think I am naïve. Its a fact that there are a lot of African and Travellers children that struggle to master the curriculum and take up the majority of the teaching staffs time. This in turn gives other children who are more able less time and that in itself becomes a leveller. You mention in another reply on here that Asian children do achieve highly and whilst some of them do but I made no reference to them in my comment.
[quote][p][bold]E.C.M2012[/bold] wrote: Errr...what on earth does 'Ollie' know...he looks like he isn't long out of short trousers himself! No one is 'qualified' to comment on teaching with any credibility, unless they have actually stood in front of a class of 30 children on a regular basis, plan differentiated lessons, next step mark books, assess levels of progress and deal with difficult parents, etc. etc. Anyone can 'talk the talk'...but to 'walk the walk' is a whole different ball game! 'Fletch' you're so naïve mate! If you want a school to improve, the simplest step is to actively enrol ethnic minority pupils and replace the white working class 'British' children...especiall y boys! ‘Johnny foreigner’ has a work ethic and is keen to learn! He appreciates the value of education and understands that you reap what you sow![/p][/quote]I don't think I am naïve. Its a fact that there are a lot of African and Travellers children that struggle to master the curriculum and take up the majority of the teaching staffs time. This in turn gives other children who are more able less time and that in itself becomes a leveller. You mention in another reply on here that Asian children do achieve highly and whilst some of them do but I made no reference to them in my comment. fletch12107

4:58pm Sun 20 Jan 13

E.C.M2012 says...

...and there are also a lot of white British children (especially boys) who 'struggle to master the curriculum...'! That's why they go to school,,,to learn and receive something called 'teaching'! It's differentiation!

Ormiston Park Academy have crowed recently how impressive their early entry GCSE exams results have been! Seeing these students interviewed on 'Yourthurrock' they're invariably all from Eastern Eupopean extraction! Their accents are cute...and OPA have the cheek to claim their results for themselves! Schools today...It's all just a game!

Read http://www.dailymail
.co.uk/debate/articl
e-2265285/Teenagers-
heads-filled-Katie-P
rice-exam-results--n
eed-learn-CHARACTER-
A-surprising-message
-Britains-successful
-headteachers.html

from today's Sunday Mail! This is what education should be all about!
...and there are also a lot of white British children (especially boys) who 'struggle to master the curriculum...'! That's why they go to school,,,to learn and receive something called 'teaching'! It's differentiation! Ormiston Park Academy have crowed recently how impressive their early entry GCSE exams results have been! Seeing these students interviewed on 'Yourthurrock' they're invariably all from Eastern Eupopean extraction! Their accents are cute...and OPA have the cheek to claim their results for themselves! Schools today...It's all just a game! Read http://www.dailymail .co.uk/debate/articl e-2265285/Teenagers- heads-filled-Katie-P rice-exam-results--n eed-learn-CHARACTER- A-surprising-message -Britains-successful -headteachers.html from today's Sunday Mail! This is what education should be all about! E.C.M2012

9:00pm Sun 20 Jan 13

Bernard 87 says...

I don't think it matters what race/nationality the children are....Thurrock schools are fairly terrible by Essex standards and theres no reason why they are so bad other than bad mismanagement over a very long period of time....mainly by a Labour Council.

Redbridge has very good schools as it has had a council committed to high levels of education long before Asians started moving there en masse. Redbridge also has a healthy selection of good state, private and grammar schools which makes it a popular place...Thurrock on the other hand, lacks the last two and has very few of the first.
I don't think it matters what race/nationality the children are....Thurrock schools are fairly terrible by Essex standards and theres no reason why they are so bad other than bad mismanagement over a very long period of time....mainly by a Labour Council. Redbridge has very good schools as it has had a council committed to high levels of education long before Asians started moving there en masse. Redbridge also has a healthy selection of good state, private and grammar schools which makes it a popular place...Thurrock on the other hand, lacks the last two and has very few of the first. Bernard 87

6:29am Mon 21 Jan 13

ebagumtrebor says...

It would appear that the race relations industry, the Labour party and the left wing media are a bunch of liars from what you say E.C.M2012, shock horror. The extra millions spent on ethnic minorities for education and employment programmes is obviously not needed. So we can look forward to schools getting rid of interpreter's etc. Not all asians have the work ethic you speak of either and I have personal experience of that as well. Whilst it is true that there are far too many working class parents that probably have never worked in their lives and probably have the same expectations of their children, I fail to see how this country has remained one of the largest economies in the world if all it's inhabitants are brain dead illiterates. It's more a case of failing or inadequate schools, mainly due to the dumbing down of education, than it is due to an individuals ability to learn.
It would appear that the race relations industry, the Labour party and the left wing media are a bunch of liars from what you say E.C.M2012, shock horror. The extra millions spent on ethnic minorities for education and employment programmes is obviously not needed. So we can look forward to schools getting rid of interpreter's etc. Not all asians have the work ethic you speak of either and I have personal experience of that as well. Whilst it is true that there are far too many working class parents that probably have never worked in their lives and probably have the same expectations of their children, I fail to see how this country has remained one of the largest economies in the world if all it's inhabitants are brain dead illiterates. It's more a case of failing or inadequate schools, mainly due to the dumbing down of education, than it is due to an individuals ability to learn. ebagumtrebor

6:39am Mon 21 Jan 13

ebagumtrebor says...

Another point E.CM2012, if educational attainment is only acieved by ethnic minorities, why are most of the countries they come from broke and why are they here if theyu are all highly educated, no doubt with professionally trained parents doing the jobs the feckless, workshy British won't do. Take a look arouind Grays and you'll see plenty of ethnic minorities manning the tills in shops. Not the choice of job I would expect from a highly educated individual. I seee lots of drunken eastern europeans around as well. There was also a story in yesterdays Sun front page story about an Eastern European single mother that has openly admitted that the reason she is here is for the state benefits, not the education it gives her child. Go figure.
Another point E.CM2012, if educational attainment is only acieved by ethnic minorities, why are most of the countries they come from broke and why are they here if theyu are all highly educated, no doubt with professionally trained parents doing the jobs the feckless, workshy British won't do. Take a look arouind Grays and you'll see plenty of ethnic minorities manning the tills in shops. Not the choice of job I would expect from a highly educated individual. I seee lots of drunken eastern europeans around as well. There was also a story in yesterdays Sun front page story about an Eastern European single mother that has openly admitted that the reason she is here is for the state benefits, not the education it gives her child. Go figure. ebagumtrebor

9:05am Mon 21 Jan 13

E.C.M2012 says...

Bernard 87, I can't agree that "Thurrock schools are fairly terrible"! There are many Secondarys in particular, that are currently 'outstanding' if you use Ofsted as your benchmark! Dilkes is our first Primary to be also awarded this accolade and at a time when the inspection framework is tougher than ever!

Oh dear, I seem to have rattled your cage ebagumtrebor!

I can only comment on my own experience. Subsequently, children I have taught from ethnic minorities over the past 20 years, 'invariably' out perform white British pupils (especially boys)...fact!

I never said "educational attainment is only acieved by ethnic minorities"! That would be extremely naive to generalise and say 'only'!

So you read The Sun do you? Hmmm...now there's a surprise! Good luck to the Eastern European mother you mention. She seems like a nice young lady...I only peeked for purely research purposes you'll understand!

She is only exploiting a loophole Cam-moran and the Governments predesessors condone! I wonder if she can lend me a fiver?
Bernard 87, I can't agree that "Thurrock schools are fairly terrible"! There are many Secondarys in particular, that are currently 'outstanding' if you use Ofsted as your benchmark! Dilkes is our first Primary to be also awarded this accolade and at a time when the inspection framework is tougher than ever! Oh dear, I seem to have rattled your cage ebagumtrebor! I can only comment on my own experience. Subsequently, children I have taught from ethnic minorities over the past 20 years, 'invariably' out perform white British pupils (especially boys)...fact! I never said "educational attainment is only acieved by ethnic minorities"! That would be extremely naive to generalise and say 'only'! So you read The Sun do you? Hmmm...now there's a surprise! Good luck to the Eastern European mother you mention. She seems like a nice young lady...I only peeked for purely research purposes you'll understand! She is only exploiting a loophole Cam-moran and the Governments predesessors condone! I wonder if she can lend me a fiver? E.C.M2012

10:55am Mon 21 Jan 13

ebagumtrebor says...

You haven’t rattled my cage E.C.M2012. You don’t appear to be able to answer questions. You’ve done nothing more than use an old clichéd Labour party staple that British working class boys are not worth teaching because they’re stupid and will probably grow up to be racists anyway. It’s something the Labour party resorts to as to somehow justify their assertion that it is the white British working class that are the most racist among the population because they are poorly educated and after being in power for 13 years, it’s somewhat of a claim to fame for the party that was built off the back of those very people that they now wish to disassociate themselves with.

It’s also fairly enlightening to know that is the view of a current or former teacher. A view that, if expressed by a teacher against an ethnic minority child, would almost certainly result in them never being allowed to teach children again.

It’s long been accepted that the comprehensive education system in this country is now run by left wing union activists that will attempt to implement Labour party policy regardless of whether the Labour party are in power or not. So it’s not surprising that the particular element of the population they despise the most would be written off first.

Your views on economic migrants and the current Prime Minister also make it even more likely that your views on the subject of teaching and ethnic minorities would probably sway to the left thinking way. Perhaps you could offer more than anecdotal evidence to back up your assumptions.

I also note that you’re a Sun snob and are probably more a guardianista type. I don’t generally read papers anymore because they tend to be like the rest of the mass media and have the same bland message to put forward.
You haven’t rattled my cage E.C.M2012. You don’t appear to be able to answer questions. You’ve done nothing more than use an old clichéd Labour party staple that British working class boys are not worth teaching because they’re stupid and will probably grow up to be racists anyway. It’s something the Labour party resorts to as to somehow justify their assertion that it is the white British working class that are the most racist among the population because they are poorly educated and after being in power for 13 years, it’s somewhat of a claim to fame for the party that was built off the back of those very people that they now wish to disassociate themselves with. It’s also fairly enlightening to know that is the view of a current or former teacher. A view that, if expressed by a teacher against an ethnic minority child, would almost certainly result in them never being allowed to teach children again. It’s long been accepted that the comprehensive education system in this country is now run by left wing union activists that will attempt to implement Labour party policy regardless of whether the Labour party are in power or not. So it’s not surprising that the particular element of the population they despise the most would be written off first. Your views on economic migrants and the current Prime Minister also make it even more likely that your views on the subject of teaching and ethnic minorities would probably sway to the left thinking way. Perhaps you could offer more than anecdotal evidence to back up your assumptions. I also note that you’re a Sun snob and are probably more a guardianista type. I don’t generally read papers anymore because they tend to be like the rest of the mass media and have the same bland message to put forward. ebagumtrebor

12:07pm Mon 21 Jan 13

E.C.M2012 says...

ebagumtrebor...you need to lighten up mate and 'chillax'! My witty repartee obviously went way over your head!

Isn't this just a forum for some friendly banter?! You make far too many assumptions and seem a little bitter to me with your political references!

In response to your deformation of my character, I will reply as I have nothing better to do now, since this snow day has allowed me the opportunity to catch up on all my marking, planning, assessment and report writing etc. etc! Maybe, a 4 day week is the answer to school improvement?

Anyway, here goes:

* "working class boys are not worth teaching because they’re stupid and will probably grow up to be racists anyway". Whoool there boy/girl, where did that come from?! I was just stating innocently the fact that 'class' is a greater predictor of examination success, compared to either gender or ethnicity!

* "I don’t generally read papers"...I'm just glad 'you' can! Maybe, you should thank a teacher for assisting you in the acquisition of this crucial life skill?!

Wrong again I'm afraid! No one more than me likes looking at The 'Currant Bun'...especially at all those t..s on page three...or am I just pulling your leg once again!

Have a laugh mate...life's too short and certainly too serious in schools today! A belated Happy New Year to you!
ebagumtrebor...you need to lighten up mate and 'chillax'! My witty repartee obviously went way over your head! Isn't this just a forum for some friendly banter?! You make far too many assumptions and seem a little bitter to me with your political references! In response to your deformation of my character, I will reply as I have nothing better to do now, since this snow day has allowed me the opportunity to catch up on all my marking, planning, assessment and report writing etc. etc! Maybe, a 4 day week is the answer to school improvement? Anyway, here goes: * "working class boys are not worth teaching because they’re stupid and will probably grow up to be racists anyway". Whoool there boy/girl, where did that come from?! I was just stating innocently the fact that 'class' is a greater predictor of examination success, compared to either gender or ethnicity! * "I don’t generally read papers"...I'm just glad 'you' can! Maybe, you should thank a teacher for assisting you in the acquisition of this crucial life skill?! Wrong again I'm afraid! No one more than me likes looking at The 'Currant Bun'...especially at all those t..s on page three...or am I just pulling your leg once again! Have a laugh mate...life's too short and certainly too serious in schools today! A belated Happy New Year to you! E.C.M2012

12:31pm Mon 21 Jan 13

ebagumtrebor says...

Very good E.C.M2012. the very same type of humour used by Andy Parsons, Russell Howard et al. Pat them on the head for they know not what they say. Judging by the comments of a lot of kids that have come out of schools, particularly Grays recently, I doubt it would be solely a teachers claim to fame that they can read as a number of them have questioned the literacy, or otherwise of their teachers. Most of them appear to spend their days looking at Facebook.
Very good E.C.M2012. the very same type of humour used by Andy Parsons, Russell Howard et al. Pat them on the head for they know not what they say. Judging by the comments of a lot of kids that have come out of schools, particularly Grays recently, I doubt it would be solely a teachers claim to fame that they can read as a number of them have questioned the literacy, or otherwise of their teachers. Most of them appear to spend their days looking at Facebook. ebagumtrebor

9:11pm Mon 21 Jan 13

skinthegoat says...

E.C.M2012 wrote:
ebagumtrebor...it's not a matter of what I say, it is fact!

Redbridge have fantastic school's in terms of 'qualifications' because the dominent ethnicity of their pupils are Asian! Hard working students with a thirst for knowledge, who appreciate the value of education!

In Thurrock, the exam factory with nice carpets...or the Harris Academy as it is better known, has a huge cultural mix!

I rest my case m'Lord...no further questions!
Just a small note of concern...I find it slightly worrying that a person that I imagine is a teacher in the UK cannot spell the English word "dominant".

I rest my case.....



...
[quote][p][bold]E.C.M2012[/bold] wrote: ebagumtrebor...it's not a matter of what I say, it is fact! Redbridge have fantastic school's in terms of 'qualifications' because the dominent ethnicity of their pupils are Asian! Hard working students with a thirst for knowledge, who appreciate the value of education! In Thurrock, the exam factory with nice carpets...or the Harris Academy as it is better known, has a huge cultural mix! I rest my case m'Lord...no further questions![/p][/quote]Just a small note of concern...I find it slightly worrying that a person that I imagine is a teacher in the UK cannot spell the English word "dominant". I rest my case..... ... skinthegoat

10:35am Tue 22 Jan 13

OckendonPaul says...

It doesn't matter if Africans and Asians are collectively gifted and white people are the worlds dullards (though history would suggest otherwise), we've still got a right to our homeland and to not be swamped by alien cultures.
Witty banter of course!
It doesn't matter if Africans and Asians are collectively gifted and white people are the worlds dullards (though history would suggest otherwise), we've still got a right to our homeland and to not be swamped by alien cultures. Witty banter of course! OckendonPaul

6:33pm Tue 22 Jan 13

rocket1 says...

my son is white,working class and attends the exam factory with nice carpets,and he is doing very well.
my son is white,working class and attends the exam factory with nice carpets,and he is doing very well. rocket1

9:15pm Tue 22 Jan 13

E.C.M2012 says...

rocket1 wrote:
my son is white,working class and attends the exam factory with nice carpets,and he is doing very well.
Rocket1, what does "doing very well" actually mean?

Is he going to thrive in life? Is he going to be a responsible citizen? Is he going to make a positive contribution to society?

Only time will tell…and I wish him all the very best in his quest for happiness!

However, “the great educational lie, do well at school (qualifications) and get a good job”! (Gilbert 2003).
[quote][p][bold]rocket1[/bold] wrote: my son is white,working class and attends the exam factory with nice carpets,and he is doing very well.[/p][/quote]Rocket1, what does "doing very well" actually mean? Is he going to thrive in life? Is he going to be a responsible citizen? Is he going to make a positive contribution to society? Only time will tell…and I wish him all the very best in his quest for happiness! However, “the great educational lie, do well at school (qualifications) and get a good job”! (Gilbert 2003). E.C.M2012

4:17pm Thu 24 Jan 13

rocket1 says...

no one knows whats going to happen in life but educated people get most of the good jobs.
no one knows whats going to happen in life but educated people get most of the good jobs. rocket1

7:31pm Thu 24 Jan 13

E.C.M2012 says...

rocket1 wrote:
no one knows whats going to happen in life but educated people get most of the good jobs.
Agreed Rocket1...educated people do, but not necessarily those solely with 'qualifications'!

There's a huge difference you know,,,something that certain exam factories haven't yet understood!
[quote][p][bold]rocket1[/bold] wrote: no one knows whats going to happen in life but educated people get most of the good jobs.[/p][/quote]Agreed Rocket1...educated people do, but not necessarily those solely with 'qualifications'! There's a huge difference you know,,,something that certain exam factories haven't yet understood! E.C.M2012

1:53pm Fri 25 Jan 13

rocket1 says...

any qualification is better than none,you should be more concerned about the NEET factories in thurrock,ritalin fueled disaster zones.
any qualification is better than none,you should be more concerned about the NEET factories in thurrock,ritalin fueled disaster zones. rocket1

3:11pm Fri 25 Jan 13

E.C.M2012 says...

Rocket1, what about BTECHs in fish husbandry?!

Every Child Matters...not just the elite!
Rocket1, what about BTECHs in fish husbandry?! Every Child Matters...not just the elite! E.C.M2012

3:23pm Fri 25 Jan 13

rocket1 says...

you could get a job at a fish farm,better than being neet.
you could get a job at a fish farm,better than being neet. rocket1

3:49pm Fri 25 Jan 13

E.C.M2012 says...

Agreed,,,but the smell!!!
Agreed,,,but the smell!!! E.C.M2012

5:43pm Fri 25 Jan 13

rocket1 says...

i used to work at a fresh water fish farm.
i used to work at a fresh water fish farm. rocket1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree