RESIDENTS can now report people who sell alcohol to under-18s online.

Sales of other age-restricted goods like fireworks, knives, cigarettes, DVDs, and video games can also be reported via the trading standards section on Thurrock Council’s website.

The council’s portfolio holder for public protection, Angie Gaywood, said: “We carry out operations including test purchasing and work with Essex Police, but we know that residents witness incidents.

“We are asking for the community’s help to tackle these issues, and for anyone concerned reporting can be done anonymously.”

Thurrock Community Safety Partnership held an alcohol awareness workshop as part of Alcohol Awareness Week last week, bringing together people who may have a drinking problem with professionals who can offer them treatment.

The aim of the event, which included a talk by the NHS’s alcohol programme manager, Iain Armstrong, was to increase referrals and raise treatment numbers.

Thurrock has a small alcohol treatment service, but its number of clients has increased throughout the year. At the moment there are 211 people receiving services.

To report the illegal sale of age-restricted goods, visit